Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
2 Jul
7:36pm, 2 Jul 2024
888 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
ooh hello :)
Shades you kindly sent me your marathon plans many years ago. These days I dont work to a plan apart from long runs and use a very similar build up from your original plan
Nice to see this thread :)
2 Jul
8:14pm, 2 Jul 2024
156 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rcouture-They got lucky with the mission there,reckon I'd end up in some hell hole if I did that.
Do you have any shorter races lined up?
Jenni-Feel free to join us,we're all working off different plans but just chat here.
Usual 7 after work,I'm gonna extend these to 8.5 in a couple of weeks as a way of increasing mileage again.
2 Jul
8:20pm, 2 Jul 2024
4,116 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I found increasing the MWLR was easy mine was 8 miles so increased to 9 which ends up 9.5 with run back to home and a great way to increase the miles.
2 Jul
9:29pm, 2 Jul 2024
3 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Ian - I’ve just got the Big Half on the 1st of September which I’d like to give a proper go at for a PB. What have you got race wise?
3 Jul
7:59am, 3 Jul 2024
3,005 posts
  •  
Shades
@Jenni-far-far Lovely to hear from you and you still remember my plan from all those years ago. I take it you're still running marathons? You're very welcome to this thread.

Rcouture - I just wondered if your groin niggle was the result of compromising your form due to one of the other niggles. I once cut my heel on a stone in the early miles of a marathon and I finished the marathon with a groin injury on the other side as I'd been trying to ease the pain of the cut heel.

I have a pair of Nimbus and I agree the most comfortable of shoes, I will replace them when they wear out.

I bought a pair of Invincibles, after a lot of research and deliberation. I knew from the reviews that heel slippage was a problem but I wasn't concerned as I usually change to elastic laces and that deals with heel slippage. The heel slippage was bad, I threw out the useless laces that came with the shoes and put elastic laces in and that really helped but I had to have the laces very tight. I knew I wouldn't be able to use them in very hot weather or for long runs as would be too tight but that was OK, I have plenty of other shoes. Bit disappointed with first run, they felt heavy and run felt like really hard work, but I thought they were just different from my current shoes and just needed time to get used to them.
However, on their 2nd run I hated them, I felt I had 2 bricks attached to my feet and running felt so hard, I even switched off my Garmin and walked the last mile home. If there had been a skip around I would have cheerfully thrown them away and walked home in my socks. I've had many shoes, of all types throughout the years, some I've liked better than others but never had any I hated so much. But I know the reason, they are mens shoes, not womens the label on the side of the box confirms that. I feel I've been mis sold as they were marketed as womens shoes.😡
My own fault having thrown away the original laces I can't return them, I might put them up on the kit for sale thread on Fetch.
Rant over 🤣

Good you could find a nanny that the girls already know and like.

5+ miles today, did a longer session in the gym yesterday and I could really feel it this morning, legs felt heavy and tired.
3 Jul
8:38am, 3 Jul 2024
3,642 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rcouture, I was wondering about work. Great they’ve been accommodating and than you feel ready to ramp up. I was in a similar situation when Claire died and my employer (BT at the time) were absolutely fantastic with me. I’ve heard of stories where others have lost their partner, been forced back to work after 2 weeks, do a bad job as obviously their mind is elsewhere, and then they eventually get booted out. Good news you’ve sorted out a nanny for your girls.

Terrible night’s sleep due to hayfever. Sneezing a lot and really blocked nose. Took some decongestants which did help, so I did get some sleep, but very disturbed.

Dad’s coming home today. He’s been in and out of hospital so many times these last months, we kind of take it in our stride now. Went to seem him yesterday at 6:30pm and he was in a really bad mood! I’ll go over and see him later just to take fresh food over and then it’s back into the routine again.

Exciting stage on TdF yesterday. Some cracks showing already in GC contenders.
3 Jul
9:04am, 3 Jul 2024
3,008 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - good to hear your Dad is OK, I take it the bad mood is that he's feeling better and wants to get home ASAP.

Wow, that was a finish at yesterday's TdeF. Unexpected that Vingegaard weakened on the downhill having done the climb OK.
3 Jul
9:18am, 3 Jul 2024
3,644 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yes, that’s right. He asked me to take him home, at which I laughed (he’s bed bound, has one leg, and getting him into a wheelchair on my own would be the first of many stumbling blocks in that plan). I didn’t stay long actually as he was being a real pain in the neck and was also being rude to the nurses. The other day he asked me to get a solicitor to write the physios a letter because he’s not happy with them either and was rude to them when they went up last time. In the same conversation he also said ‘we won’t need to tell the physios I’m not doing the exercises’, to which I also laughed and replied ‘they’ll know you’re not doing the exercises as your mobility and strength has got much worse, and not better’. I also said that if he continues to be rude to them, they probably won’t come up again either.
3 Jul
9:40am, 3 Jul 2024
3,010 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - oh dear, let's hope his mood has improved when you deliver his food later. I suppose the NHS staff are used to grumpy old folk 😉
3 Jul
9:57am, 3 Jul 2024
3,011 posts
  •  
Shades

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.