Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
4 Jul
9:20am, 4 Jul 2024
3,016 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - poor Tigg, he must think you're barking mad 😉

Cav's skill at weaving his way at that speed is breathtaking. There was a good build up during the stage with Astana nurturing him to the finish line.
4 Jul
9:37am, 4 Jul 2024
3,656 posts
  •  
Big_G
It was great seeing what seemed like half the peloton congratulating Cav at the end. Even Philipsen, who Cav had just beaten, held out his hand to congratulate him, moments after crossing the line. It was odd, but as I was watching it live, I couldn’t really take my eyes off of him in the last 1km or so, just watching him ducking and weaving, brushing shoulders with other riders, finding the right wheel to follow etc, and then seeing him win it pretty convincingly. Unbelievable achievement really, at 39 as well, and I’ll hold my hands up and say I didn’t expect him to do it at this TdF. Delighted for him.
4 Jul
9:55am, 4 Jul 2024
3,018 posts
  •  
Shades
When they showed the replay in slow motion it was remarkable how he negotiated his way to the front. Second oldest, at 39, to win a stage at the TdeF and he hasn't lost his speed.

Even more extraordinary having suffered from heatstroke a few days ago.

I wonder if he'll hang on for perhaps another stage win or retire.
4 Jul
10:09am, 4 Jul 2024
3,658 posts
  •  
Big_G
Mark Renshaw from Astana suggested that they were more targeting today’s stage, rather than yesterday’s…. Couldn’t blame him if he never rode competitively again though!
4 Jul
11:32am, 4 Jul 2024
159 posts
  •  
Ian5
When I said about Chicago I didn't realise there was so much actually changing,quite big changes.
Not being funny if someone is running marathons at 80,just let them run.
4 Jul
11:32am, 4 Jul 2024
160 posts
  •  
Ian5
Forgot add the link
runningmagazine.ca
4 Jul
11:36am, 4 Jul 2024
3,659 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’m glad I got it done when I did Ian, as Chicago was the easiest qualifier for me with a guaranteed entry with the time I submitted.
4 Jul
11:41am, 4 Jul 2024
4,123 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Blimey I agree let 80 years just run the marathon!! those seem harsh times!

Cav I had leaky eyes and knew he would do it but how special was that and he is a special bike rider!!

just under 5 miles this morning pushed for time as appointment for jab at surgery.Wildlife not on run but last night a very large hedgehog walking across garden....first time since we moved I have seen one.
4 Jul
12:05pm, 4 Jul 2024
3,021 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that's shocking. You can tell that those times for the older age groups were not calculated by anyone that knows anything about running at all. Just a blanket let's add 15 minutes for each group.

London have introduced a GFA time for 90+ age group. That seems bizarre to me.

WP - hedgehog nesting in your garden perhaps.
4 Jul
12:14pm, 4 Jul 2024
4,125 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I think so and made me so glad I stood up to bullying neighbour.She and daughter came around demanded I cut down my hedge (small hedge and gardener cuts it twice a year)no taller than 6ft fence I have. So i was going to get it chopped down and fence it for peace sake. I have never met them my garden one side has two maybe three gardens back onto it.
She was screaming at me and I was dignified stated my peace and closed the door......but it upset me.
The hedge stays!

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.