Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
5 Jul
1:12pm, 5 Jul 2024
3,031 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - nap required for you then. I guess you stayed up all night watching the election 🙄
5 Jul
7:20pm, 5 Jul 2024
161 posts
  •  
Ian5
Worked 5-3 today,then went for 15.5m,mainly in the park.
I have a wedding to attend this weekend so not sure how many miles I'll be getting in and the weather looks bad tomorrow morning so got the long run in tonight,felt fine during it,but tired now.
6 Jul
5:59am, 6 Jul 2024
3,038 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good planning, although can be tiring to do a long run later in the day.

We've had lot of rain yesterday, which we badly needed.

Cooler now and should be cool for my longer run tomorrow, which will be nice as the warmest weather I've run in so far this year is when I'm running longer. No ideal.

Good luck Rob for today.
6 Jul
7:39am, 6 Jul 2024
162 posts
  •  
Ian5
I've never really ran a longer run after a full day in work,maybe 10 max.We have had heavy rain in the night and down to rain mode of the day,hoping by do 7 so just need to find an hours window.
6 Jul
9:30am, 6 Jul 2024
4,132 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Short easy run just over 5 miles this morning in fresh 9 degrees and we had rain over night and more due but I stayed dry;-)
6 Jul
9:42am, 6 Jul 2024
25 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Weather is atrocious, on the plus side my marshal point is under a bridge.
6 Jul
9:43am, 6 Jul 2024
4,133 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Are you running or marshalling Rob?
6 Jul
10:05am, 6 Jul 2024
3,673 posts
  •  
Big_G
Nice one, Ian. You’re doing great!

Hope you enjoy your long run tomorrow, shades

WP, good news you stayed dry. I did too, on today’s run.

6 miles, including parkun today. Helped set up, which is my 25th volunteering at parkrun. I think they like people to volunteer one time in 10, but I’m not at that as today was my 271st event.
6 Jul
10:11am, 6 Jul 2024
3,039 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I've never done a long run late in the day either. As I'm an early morning person it tends to be early or not at all.

However, I've twice run an afternoon marathon, first was IOW which started I think at 1pm. Start time was to allow runners to travel to IOW. I wasn't too happy about it as unsure on fuelling but went to a cafe had a very large cheese roll for an early lunch. Had a surprisingly good run.

2nd time, early flight to Dublin. Into city centre, train 2 hours to Longford, walk to hotel, check in, get changed, quick snack and 2pm start for Director's marathon. Nearly 7pm when I finished but again had a good race.

Rob - weather has cleared up here, hope clears up for you too.

WP- Rob is racing, it's on the list 😉. I think marshalling after he's raced.

Fresher here too today.
6 Jul
10:56am, 6 Jul 2024
163 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rob-Hope you have a good day and it's not too long.
Big G-Thanks,I'm feeling happy again running,need to find some shorter races to sharpen up.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.