•  
Shades
So today's run was 10 miles 😀
7 Jul
9:09am, 7 Jul 2024
4,137 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
We do this as a hobby for enjoyment .It is what gets us out of bed in the morning's so makes sense to do what we love and also see progress.
Great work on ten miles this morning.

I also love ten miles as long run and 8 miles as regular runs.It would be my preferred distances.

Sadly after going to surgery Thursday I have felt off day off Friday and today as feel sick and not well-always happens after a visit to surgery and germ infested people.I did change into kit but I dithered always a bad sign but also I try to see if I am being lazy.
7 Jul
9:16am, 7 Jul 2024
3,050 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - you're quite right, we do this because we enjoy it.

For your half marathon training you can easily avoid running anything longer than 10 miles and just focus on improving your base training pace. You do a very decent weekly mileage and run to HR, IMHO that's more effective training than doing longer runs which you don't enjoy.

Sorry to hear you're feeling sick, best to rest and relax today, hope you haven't picked up a virus. Nothing to be gained by trying to force yourself out there.
7 Jul
9:34am, 7 Jul 2024
4,139 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks Shades it is what I was thinking ,but you think I have to do the long run's or you won't see results.

I have a hilly and usually hot race next Sunday so good job I am ill this weekend.Last year I had terrible race and found out after I had a virus.
7 Jul
9:51am, 7 Jul 2024
69,746 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
@Shades @Welshpoppy another longrunphobe reporting in :) I love training runs ... for 90 minutes at a time. Every marathon campaign, I promise to do long runs this time. And every time I end up saying, "Oh, well, total mileage is just as important."
7 Jul
9:53am, 7 Jul 2024
3,051 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - keep an eye on your waking RHR this week, that's usually a good indication if you're harbouring a virus.

I don't think you need to run further than 10 miles in training for a good half marathon result. Your base training, good consistent weekly mileage, strength training and possible further weight loss are all factors IMHO that will give you a very good race result. Your half isn't until October, if you're not happy with your training by September you can always do a 12 miler in September.

I told myself that if I'm not happy with my training over the next 4 weeks then I'll do a 20 miler the week before IOM.....in reality I know it's highly unlikely I would run 20 miles in training. 🤣
7 Jul
10:04am, 7 Jul 2024
4,140 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
@Velociraptor Glad to see we have a team of three who hate long runs and I am sure we will all get good results for our respective races.

Shades:I do keep a watch on RHR it has creeped up since Thursday but not a big jump+5. I like the thinking I can manage a 12 miler in September;-) also gives me time to work on base pace.

When is IOM August? I think more chance of me running 12 than you running 20 :)
7 Jul
10:07am, 7 Jul 2024
3,052 posts
  •  
Shades
xpost @Velociraptor - IMHO if a runner has a long history of running/training/racing as you, WP and I have, then long runs are less important than good consistent training mileage.

I just looked back at my blog when I did my GFA time (September 2022), in my blog I said I'd done one run of 16 miles. Having checked my training log it was actually only a 15 miler and I did nothing longer. You are a much faster runner than I am so if I can get a 7+ minutes inside GFA time then I'm sure you can do much better.

However, I did have to work hard during the race and be really focussed on mile splits. It seems that not having run further than 8 miles in my shoes did me no harm either. I've only written one further blog since that race so no far to scroll back if you want to read it.
7 Jul
10:09am, 7 Jul 2024
3,053 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - IOM is 11th August.

I think there's more chance of you running 12 miles than me doing 20 too 🤣
7 Jul
10:23am, 7 Jul 2024
3,677 posts
  •  
Big_G
Interesting chat about long runs. I like a 10-miler too and have 3 or 4 10-milers that I enjoy. One of those is probably my favourite training route with a mixture of flat and a couple of steep climbs, and being greeted with fantastic views over the bay at the top.

Shades, I think you may have two marathons on the list for me in September? Just letting you know that I’ve pulled out of the off-road one. I was doing it with a large group, and they’re camping, and I was looking forward to it when I entered it. But I know it’ll be an extremely hard slog, and what with the foot, I don’t think it’s wise. It’s one of those that I know I could get around it, and although it’s a long way out, I just don’t think it’ll be sensible. I will still be doing the 100MC event, all being well.

What with the election I only ran 3 times this week, but I’ve done a few Zwift rides, including 1hr45 today.

Hoping to do 4 runs next week, up to around 28 miles for the week, hopefully, and then if that goes well I’ll see if I can introduce a 5th run the week after. Extremely slow progress, and I’m also very slow at my HR, but I’m pleased that I feel I’m not rushing things. Foot is kind of okay - occasionally it’s sore still, almost unexpectedly, which is partly why I think I still need to be careful around introducing a 5th run.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.