Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
6 Jul
11:21am, 6 Jul 2024
3,674 posts
  •  
Big_G
Done nearly 100 miles in the Nike Peg 40s, wide fitting version. Apart from a bit of mud, they look like new with hardly any wear. I loved the NB1080s but they wore quite quickly for me - could often see signs of wear after only 30-50 miles or so. And I’ve been wearing the Pegs on light off-road/gravel too, so quite impressed.
6 Jul
11:39am, 6 Jul 2024
4,134 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have a code for £5 off at decathlon when you spend £50 any use to anyone?
6 Jul
12:14pm, 6 Jul 2024
3,040 posts
  •  
Shades
Big_G wrote: Hope you enjoy your long run tomorrow, shades

Me too. Highly unlikely as I don't like long runs at all. 🙃

It's the cushioning that matters in a shoe, not any visible wearing of the outsole. The 1080's don't have much of an outsole anyway but I'm getting decent mileage from them.

WP - thanks but not for me. Decathlon are great value, surely you can treat yourself.

I do buy my salt tablets from Decathlon.
6 Jul
12:17pm, 6 Jul 2024
4,135 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
There is nothing I need at the moment 😁

I am also not a lover as yet of long run and have to do mine tomorrow as well.
6 Jul
1:32pm, 6 Jul 2024
26 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Ian I always find the longer runs late in the day much more tiring than morning. I’m not much of a morning person so find myself running late in the day quite often. That’s a good effort after being on your feet all day.

Big G well done on V25 that’s a lot more than some (probably most).

Shades have a good long run, they have missed you.

WP I used decathlon for odd bits and bobs but nothing needed at the mo.

Decided to cut the run for 4 laps, 15 miles my longest run since BH, typical the weather improved in the last 200m I was close to going for another loop but felt okay in my self but the legs were tired, another loop wouldn’t have been any quality running.

Going to get a little nap in then get some food and go marshal, 6 hours and missing the football… I didn’t plan this one too well
6 Jul
2:09pm, 6 Jul 2024
3,042 posts
  •  
Shades
Well done Rob. That's a decent distance today and all good training.

Hope you can watch the football on your phone whilst marshalling. Not bad planning, it needed a miracle for them to get this far, so you weren't to know that miracles do happen 🤣

I once did an extra few miles in DD because the marshal skived off early from his post to watch the World Cup. I had to flag down a PO van to ask the way. Very hot day, I flagged down a car and they gave me a bottle of water as I'd missed a drink station but I refused a lift. 😇 Got back on course, I finished and wasn't last despite the extra miles and the extra hills.
6 Jul
3:46pm, 6 Jul 2024
164 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rob-Well done for today.
Shades-I actually enjoy my long runs,the shorter I find boring and struggle to do sometimes.
7 today,legs felt tight for the first couple of miles after last night,but loosened up then and were fine .
6 Jul
4:06pm, 6 Jul 2024
3,044 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - my longer distances were usually races, if I do enough then not really required in training as long as I have adequate weekly mileage. I do hope I can get back to that format.

Aren't most of your shorter runs usually the same route, same distance?
6 Jul
4:14pm, 6 Jul 2024
165 posts
  •  
Ian5
Yes they are pretty much the same loop.I occasionally do a hilly loop which goes the other way but the majority are a 7m loop,from next week I'm adding an extra bit that will take it to 8.5m
7 Jul
8:48am, 7 Jul 2024
3,047 posts
  •  
Shades
Had a lovely run this morning. It wasn't a long run though. I woke this morning and whilst lying in bed contemplating the day I decided I'm not going to do any long runs, I don't like them and don't think they really benefit me, so there throws toys out pram 🤣

I've decided to revert to my preferred training of 50mpw, 4 x 8 miles runs and a 10 mile run. I'm not past 41 miles for a week yet so this week will be 5 x 7 miles and a 10 miler, giving me 45 miles for next week.

Nice morning, checked all 3 of my weather apps, one said heavy rain, one light rain and one no rain. There was no rain and the sun came out, bit humid though. Saw a pheasant and a green woodpecker and lots of swifts and/or swallows.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.