Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
7:19am
7:19am, 22 Sep 2024
4,547 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Oh tell me about it the darn thing .You never know what it is going to be like from one day to another till it settles down. I think I have another 4 weeks with it.

Glad taste and eating going well hopefully the sense of smell will return.OH has only had Covid once and he lost his sense of smell it took a while to return.

Maybe the tiredness is you did more yesterday at home maybe housework etc? we think we are better and can do more and this brings on the tiredness.
7:24am
7:24am, 22 Sep 2024
79 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Shades, I just can't lie on my back for long. My stomach gurgles loudly and then mucus collects behind my soft palate and makes me snore which then startles me awake. I have to lie on my front.
8:31am
8:31am, 22 Sep 2024
4,131 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I didn't do that much housework .😉

Loss of sense of smell doesn't bother me, I've got used to it now.

Cal - I don't like lying on my back either. Definitely can't lie on my stomach though.
9:20am
9:20am, 22 Sep 2024
4,033 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rcouture, you’ve certainly done the work. Try not to worry (easier said than done I know). Get into your stride, try and find a group to share the work, and I reckon you’ve got a good chance of cracking it. Regarding my foot, it does still make itself known on occasion, but I’ve not missed a run for several weeks due to it. I’m still being diligent with all the stretching etc, but for me it was the shockwave therapy that got me over the line with it and helped me get going again. I still feel I need to be careful, which is why I’ve been careful not ramping up the mileage too quickly. Physically, in terms of tiredness, legs etc, I feel I could have done more on quite a few of the weeks, but I don’t want to aggravate the foot. It’s still a balancing act!

Cal, that’s frustrating about that parkrun. Good on you got doing the extra distance and personally I’d still count it in my stats. Yes, Parke is a tough one. Off road, two very steep hills, plus a ramp up at the finish. It’s a lovely course though. Yes, if you’re ever down this way, Parke, Killerton, Sharpham, and even Haldon are all challenging and are my closest ones. But on the other side we’ve got Torbay (my local), Teignmouth and Exmouth that are very flat. Venturing into Cornwall there is Trelissick, Lanhydrock, and Mount Edcumbe that are all challenging! Even Eden Project, although tarmac, is not easy. The ones I’ve mentioned all feature high up in that list that Tim Grose publishes of hardest events.

Shades, good to read you’re starting to feel a bit better at last.

WP, annoying about that achilles. I had it quite bad about 11 years ago, and really I don’t know what it was that got rid of it - probably it was a combination of things. I just remember at one point realising it wasn’t there any more.

I got 10 hours sleep last night, which basically never happens. Obviously I needed it. Just the 23 miles this week, but that’s fine following last weekend. Hopefully I’ll feel refreshed tomorrow (I think I will) and get up to 40ish again next week. It’s been nice having a down week, but also I’m looking forward to cracking on for the next 5 weeks.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.