Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
1:25pm
1:25pm, 23 Sep 2024
4,039 posts
  •  
Big_G
That is a shame about Windermere Shades. :(

Started the week with a bit of a bang with 3 of my hilly Haldon loops. It’s a tough loop, and dare I say it - ideal DD training as 1 mile each loop is straight up a hill, and the rest is either up or down. I’ve got into a habit of running all the undulations until that last mile each lap, which I then briskly walk. It’s not done to HR as it’s too undulating for that but I reckon good training regardless. It would be even better for me if it was tarmac but it’s off-road. As always, probably this elevation isn’t right but whatever it is, it’s hilly. I may try for 4 loops one day but I need to set out with the intention of doing 4, rather than seeing how I feel during the run. It’s perfect as the car is right there each lap, for water, food etc. A consistency 40mins a lap, so about 2hrs on feet again.

I finished around lunchtime so stopped at the cafe for a huge beef chilli nachos meal which really hit the spot!
1:31pm
1:31pm, 23 Sep 2024
4,148 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - that looks a great training session, lovely hills.

Yes, a shame about Windermere as you never got to run it. Beautiful course. You could do the 10 in 10 though..... 😉
2:01pm
2:01pm, 23 Sep 2024
4,554 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I got the email about Windermere as well -not sure why or how .

My Achilles moaned just looking at those hills but a great route to run.
2:32pm
2:32pm, 23 Sep 2024
4,149 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - perhaps in the past you expressed an interest in the half marathon or even the 10 in 10 🙃
2:36pm
2:36pm, 23 Sep 2024
4,040 posts
  •  
Big_G
I did get an email as I’ve had an entry (possibly 2) in the past, but was a DNS. Very, very unlikely to ever do it now!
3:55pm
3:55pm, 23 Sep 2024
314 posts
  •  
Ian5
I got that email earlier.
Very glad I got to run it in 2021 I think it was.
Don't understand the logistics of doing a 10/10 but can't tag 1 on,maybe the 10's have to be kore self sufficient?
4:08pm
4:08pm, 23 Sep 2024
4,150 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - the full marathon has a lot of additional costs, very expensive traffic management controls, I suspect some fees to council for road/partial road closures etc., and that could cost thousands. Staff costs for managing the parking and all other admin costs.

The 10 in 10 is at tops 15 runners spread out, no marshals (drinks are deposited at points on the course beforewe started) and I think they just have 2 members of staff to look after them although when I did it some runner's OHs took over that role. We were self sufficient every day.

The 10 in 10 runners raise a lot of money for the charity. Brathay is a charity and the events are put on to raise funds.

I hope Langdale remains, don't think they have the traffic control costs that Windermere do so should be safe for now.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.