Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
28 Jun
1:41pm, 28 Jun 2024
4,091 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Oh blimey those seagulls. Mr WP did say he saw that those tinned hooters which make a racket have been used as a success with seagulls. No idea if it works or not.

I imagine a lot cheaper as well🤣
28 Jun
1:41pm, 28 Jun 2024
152 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-Yes the traffic free is the main reason,and there's always people running there,also got a cafe and toilet if I need a break at all.
Cheese on toast makes sense,plenty of carbs and calories to load with.
Shades-I've still got my sling so will use that for flights.They do say some never recover full strength so I'm hoping I'm not one of the small %,but the way it's gone I'd suggest not.
28 Jun
2:04pm, 28 Jun 2024
2,965 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G ha, ha. Not me, my language would be far more colourful. So far this year I haven't been attacked.

However, that FB post was useful as I do sometimes run on that road but will avoid it for a while. Residents there did go on to say that the gulls are particularly aggressive this year and are swooping every time they leave their houses.

WP - I can't carry a tin hooter with me out running. 🤣

Apparently they don't like being stared at, which makes sense as they do always attack from behind. I did see a suggestion to get a set of eyes that you would use for a teddy/soft toy and glue them to the back of a baseball cap. 👀

I might try that if I become a target again. 🤣

In other seagull news, our resident pair, who are non aggressive have 2 chicks in their nest. Growing to a fair size now.

Ian - seems to me you'll make a full recovery.
28 Jun
3:29pm, 28 Jun 2024
4,092 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades is the bum bag not big enough :) I like the idea of the eyes maybe the postmen need them.

Ian you are lucky- my route which is 12 miles no toilets or cafe sadly.

What happened to shoulder? I know my rotator cuff injury has taken so far 12 months and finally I feel I have equal strength when doing upper body work with weights with PT.
28 Jun
3:38pm, 28 Jun 2024
153 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-I fell when running about 7 weeks ago,got a seperated shoulder,basically the collar bone comes away from the shoulder bone and pings up as the ligamentis torn,extremely painful for a week or so,now it's using scar tissue to try and move it back to the original place.
28 Jun
3:47pm, 28 Jun 2024
2,966 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I don't wear a bumbag when training. Plus at 6 am in the morning I don't think the residents would be particularly happy with me using a tin hooter. 🤣

I saw a piece on our SW BBC news about the postmen in Liskeard refusing to deliver the mail because of aggressive seagulls.
28 Jun
5:46pm, 28 Jun 2024
4,093 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian: That was some fall but glad the shoulder is getting better!

Shades :) No best not upset the residents.

I also saw the postman on news which made me think of it.
29 Jun
12:13am, 29 Jun 2024
17 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Shades when I used to work for HSBC (it was 20 years ago) people needed to be on utility bills for proof of address. We just got them to add their name to their landlords utility bill for a month then take them off.

WP I only call it twitter to, I don’t see too many fake ads on there mind. I used to get fake FB adverts. It’s since getting hacked I’m not really on there now.

I wasn’t feeling too good this morning, was a bit of a struggle at work. Just a few drinks tonight and a respectable time. Probably look at Peel parkrun tomorrow it’s less than 2 miles away from memory.

Paid for London marathon, was quite satisfying for the first time. You actually have to opt into having a medal and t shirt rather than opt out.
29 Jun
5:30am, 29 Jun 2024
2,971 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - that was very innovative way to have a utility bill with the applicant's name on. I suppose now even those that still live with their parents can produce a mobile phone bill.

Many years ago you didn't need that to open a bank account. When I lived in Jersey I was paid in cash and I wanted to open a savings account at a bank close to where I lived as my bank was a bit of a walk away. I was most indignant at being asked for a reference to open just a basic savings account that I said I was the one that should be asking the bank (NatWest) for a reference. Anyway a few days later armed with a reference from my bank I went back to NatWest and the manager called me into his office, provided me with a history and sort of balance sheet of NatWest and we had a chat. He then said if I ever needed a job to contact him.
Of course I should have realised at the time Jersey is a tax haven which is why there were stricter rules for new applicants.

Good news on finalising your London entry. I would imagine for London there are few that don't want the memorabilia as it's so hard to get a place. But giving the option keeps the climate folk happy.

For Newport you can donate to a climate fund or have a t-shirt. I've opted for the t-shirt as it's one of the few I have that fit and I quite like it.

Rest day for me today, although I don't feel I need it today. Long run tomorrow 😨
29 Jun
5:33am, 29 Jun 2024
3,616 posts
  •  
Big_G
Nice one Robert. I know it’s a long way off, but do you think you’ll stay in London for the race, or travel in and out on the day?

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.