Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
13 Jun
7:07pm, 13 Jun 2024
First-time poster!!
  •  
Rob OHara
Is it safe?

Thought I was getting the hang of it here then went back a page and realised no save draft 😭.

Shades yes event was the enduro weekend, thankfully I’m not a) race fit b) planning of making a weekend of it. Giving 9-11 days notice isn’t good.

Big G you’re away again!!!!

Winsor Wool many of us have been guilty chasing arbitrary time targets, then feel like failures even after a great run! Shades forum we’ve seen peoples ups, downs and journeys from novice to not so novice and forumites have helped others thru changes, and we haven’t offended too many people over the years 😂

Rest day today after a sluggish run yesterday home. Had a check in the last month 80 miles done, I’m not quite at 200 for the year all moving back in the right direction.
13 Jun
7:52pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,764 posts
  •  
Shades
Robert - no draft save and no edit facility, I guess we just got used to having them. Just remember to write race reports elsewhere and paste them in rather than risk having to rewrite if accidentally hitting the back button.

Bit short notice for a cancellation.

I had my 199th cancelled with only a week's notice and no time to find another event. Therefore my 200th wasn't actually my 200th despite me running through the finish with a union jack with 200 printed on it that my friends had brought for me. On the long drive home, from Anglesey, when I stopped at the services I realised my hip was injured. Didn't race again until 4 months later when I finally did my 200th.
13 Jun
7:57pm, 13 Jun 2024
30,553 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
There *is* an auto save in blogs. And if you write a blog you can tie it to your race.
13 Jun
7:58pm, 13 Jun 2024
30,554 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Eg you can filter the blog list to show race blogs: fetcheveryone.com/blogs.php?filter=events&weekcommencing=2024-06-06
13 Jun
8:25pm, 13 Jun 2024
24,735 posts
  •  
Meglet
This brings back memories, I used Shades' plan for my first marathon in 2011.
13 Jun
8:35pm, 13 Jun 2024
27,127 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I'm loitering. I really don't know if I'll ever do another marathon, but if I did, 3 runs a week sounds like a training plan I could work with.
13 Jun
8:56pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,765 posts
  •  
Shades
Thanks Fetch, that's useful to know about the auto save on blogs.

Meglet- that's great to know, I hope the race went well for you.

GimmeMedals - that's good to know, please continue to loiter. 🙂

When I had my running club quite a few of the women wanted to have a go at a marathon. So I went home and sat down and wrote what I thought was a good training plan for a first marathon. However, when I showed it to them they were horrified, it looked too hard, they would never manage the training and seeing the distance and frequency of the long runs frightened them. So I tore up that plan and wrote what I considered to be the bare minimum of a training plan that would get them round without any distress. They all got round Dublin marathon, times 3:44 to 5:27, and we had an amazing weekend even going dancing in the evening after the marathon.
13 Jun
9:21pm, 13 Jun 2024
5,074 posts
  •  
kstuart
Just waving hello to the newbies from RW ;)
14 Jun
5:36am, 14 Jun 2024
2,766 posts
  •  
Shades
No run today for me, have a calf niggle. Had a twinge on Wednesday in the gym but it was OK yesterday. Just being cautious as I want to run a bit longer than usual on Sunday.
14 Jun
6:08am, 14 Jun 2024
4,001 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Always good to play it safe with the eye on longer run.
I ran shorter yesterday so I can get the long one in today.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.