Shades Marathon Training

13 lurkers | 30 watchers
13 Jun
11:38am, 13 Jun 2024
117 posts
  •  
Ian5
Couldn't even find where to reply then,will take a little getting used to,and going back 3 pages,always on the front page on RW.
No running yet today,hopefully go this afternoon when I get work done.Just popped in to say Hi
13 Jun
11:47am, 13 Jun 2024
6,365 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Shades wrote:Thanks Windsor Wool but this marathon thread is aimed at all abilities, not specific times. Pix - and you are very welcome whether you get a LM place or not.

Yeah, that's an issue with many of the training threads over here on FE that pre-dates even me tbh. It's across all distances too whether that's the sub 18 5k thread or the sub 40 10k thread, the titles can put people off when the discussions really relate widely to all. I've tried to suggest change in the past but there's a lot of inertia.

Everyone will work out where they feel most comfortable and there's an awful lot of overlap across the threads anyway.
13 Jun
12:38pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,758 posts
  •  
Shades
Windsor Wool - there are many runners that want/prefer a finish time defined plan.

After years of following RW threads I have seen so many failures in achieving their goals for many reasons.
13 Jun
12:44pm, 13 Jun 2024
6,372 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Shades wrote:Windsor Wool - there are many runners that want/prefer a finish time defined plan. After years of following RW threads I have seen so many failures in achieving their goals for many reasons.

I know. I wish more folks would simply try and optimise their training and then see where that takes them. I can't really criticise though, I spent the 1st 15 years of my running career focussed on arbitrary time targets!
13 Jun
12:48pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,760 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - at the top of the page, click on Watch. Then next time you go onto Fetch forum it will show if there are any new posts on the thread. Click on that and will take you to the page.
13 Jun
4:30pm, 13 Jun 2024
118 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Thanks for that,all this new tech to get used to 🤣
Decided not to run,I didn't sleep good last night and need off today or tomorrow so took today.
13 Jun
4:46pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,585 posts
  •  
Jen HB
If I had another marathon in me I would find this thread useful! I followed a three runs a week plan for my first in April 2021 (and managed 4hr 45)
13 Jun
5:32pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,761 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - you've already done some decent training this week and you're still regaining your fitness to pre injury, so a rest day is a good idea.

Jen HB - perhaps we can persuade you to do another marathon sometime. 🙂 It's not that long since your last one.
13 Jun
5:40pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,586 posts
  •  
Jen HB
Shades - I did intend to do another, but since then I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and currently don't think it would be sensible! (see some of my blogs)
13 Jun
6:13pm, 13 Jun 2024
2,763 posts
  •  
Shades
Jen HB oh, sorry to hear that. But you've done one marathon and done it well, first marathon is always the biggest achievement.

Off to read your blogs.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.