Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
3 Aug
10:31am, 3 Aug 2024
3,416 posts
  •  
Shades
Just watched the 10,000m, great race and a true honest race.

Big G- a good week for you, well done.

I'd heard that Hassan was going for all 3. Didn't she go for 3 distances last time, not the same distances though.
3 Aug
5:23pm, 3 Aug 2024
15 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
I walked my local parkrun today (wanted to be back to watch the 'lympics). Wasn't entirely free from discomfort but I was able to walk quicker, it did not transmit down to the knee (which has been hurting worse than the hip itself some days) and hasn't ached afterwards. So all round positive.
Looking forward to some athletics this evening.
3 Aug
6:09pm, 3 Aug 2024
236 posts
  •  
Ian5
Busy day in work today but managed to get out for 6.5 after,looking like another solid week,just 6 or so more to go 😅
3 Aug
6:26pm, 3 Aug 2024
3,418 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - good to hear that you're making progress after the injection and can still enjoy a parkrun.

I'm just settling down to watch some athletics too.

Didn't watch much of the cycling but I did see the last 10k which was breathtaking. A very well deserved gold medal.

Ian - a 6 or so tomorrow shouldn't trouble you for another good week's mileage.

I've developed a sore throat since lunchtime, really bad timing if I'm getting a cold.😢
3 Aug
9:49pm, 3 Aug 2024
23,619 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
How did we miss the 10k? We’re watching on iPad but we have 100m, swimming and now back on boxing. Gutted
4 Aug
5:19am, 4 Aug 2024
3,419 posts
  •  
Shades
geordiegirl - men's 10k was Friday night. Women's is this coming Friday.

I did watch a bit of the swimming last night, my friend's goddaughter was in the medley final, they finished 7th. At Tokyo they won gold.

I enjoyed the athletics last night.

No run today, RHR+9, I have a cold 🤒.
4 Aug
5:57am, 4 Aug 2024
3,824 posts
  •  
Big_G
Oh no, sorry to hear that Shades!!

Loved the men’s road race. The course, the fact it was only a max of 4 riders per team totally changed the tactics, no race radio, the scare for Remco needing a bike change minutes from the finish. What a race. Remco stood in front of the Eiffel Tower with his bike in the air - just wow. Also that 4x400m mixed relay - Bol is amazing.
4 Aug
6:23am, 4 Aug 2024
3,421 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - iconic setting for the finish line of the road race. Thankfully Remco had enough of a lead to cope with that late puncture. I did have trouble recognising some of the riders not in their usual team kit though.

Bol is very special and admirable that she willingly takes part in the relays before her own event. Of course she's perfectly capable of doing both.
4 Aug
6:49am, 4 Aug 2024
3,826 posts
  •  
Big_G
Just looking down through the timing of the remaining track events and we’ve got some crackers coming up still. There appears to be no love lost between Kerr and Ingebrightsen so that will be an interesting one.
4 Aug
7:00am, 4 Aug 2024
4,283 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Oh no Shades on your cold and RHR! the last thing you needed.

Mine also climbed this morning but think bad night and a few small hills yesterday.Hoping by a flatter short run all will be well again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.