Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
2 Aug
5:47am, 2 Aug 2024
3,819 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, yeah, I saw. Presuming no injuries, it seems a strange decision with Slovenia not including her as she is their highest ranked rider in the world rankings, and national champion. I know Pogacar has been saying ‘no’ about Vuelta, but surely he must be tempted?! He’s made it pretty clear that he wants the rainbow jersey in September though!
2 Aug
5:59am, 2 Aug 2024
3,399 posts
  •  
Shades
Yes, there was some controversy about his girlfriend not being selected.

I heard him mention several times that the World Championship was his priority goal now.
2 Aug
7:27am, 2 Aug 2024
3,820 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, sorry to hear about your sciatica again. You’re not having much luck with it. How are you feeling about IoM marathon in relation to it?

7 miles today and had a nice run. Calm condition and felt cooler/fresher so it was enjoyable today.
2 Aug
7:36am, 2 Aug 2024
4,271 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades :Sorry to hear about your back and bad night sleep.Hopefully as the weather and your flat cools down you will sleep better.

I had planned early run back home, ice tub,shower change sort OH out and on bus for 10am for the missing PT session but hip is still sore and achy and best to rest it running wise.
Cooler today and hopefully by Sunday our bungalow will be cooler just takes ages to cool down again.

Back to Garmin watches I have found the cheaper end Garmins battery life is around 2 years but the higher end last around 3 years before battery has issues.I had 230+710xt both 2 years for battery yet Fenix 5 lasted 3 years.Mine is on wrist 24 hours a day apart from shower and charging.
2 Aug
8:39am, 2 Aug 2024
3,400 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I'm OK about the marathon, I know I can get to halfway OK and then just do my best for the other half.

It's when I have a restless night that sets it off. It's fine during the day and as long as I don't try and do something like deadlifts I'm pain free.

Definitely better conditions today, very pleasant out and my flat is cooling nicely too.

WP - do you know what's wrong with the hip?

Hope your home cools down too.

I think all the newer watches are getting better at holding their charge irrespective of initial cost. I think mine was the cheapest Garmin at the time when I bought it and it's 5 years old now. I keep expecting it to fail any day.
2 Aug
8:51am, 2 Aug 2024
4,276 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I think you are doing exceptionally well with 5 years! for the Garmin.I wish mine lasted that long.

Hip I think is changing sleeping position due to heat or maybe one pair shoes needs changing will need to check as rotate 3 pairs.
2 Aug
9:47am, 2 Aug 2024
3,401 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I've never had a Garmin watch last as long before. I bought it from the Garmin stall at Loch Ness marathon Expo.
2 Aug
12:33pm, 2 Aug 2024
4,277 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
You may need a trip back to Loch Ness :-)

Just back from PT session and hip feels 100% better.
2 Aug
12:53pm, 2 Aug 2024
3,403 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - good the hip seems sorted.

Yes, I do plan to go back to Loch Ness marathon at some time, another one of my favourites. 🙂
2 Aug
5:02pm, 2 Aug 2024
233 posts
  •  
Ian5
OH's garmins have tended to last around 2 years,my polar lasted 4 before losing charge,it's still good as a spare though.
11.5 today,still very hot,looks like it's cooling all around soon.
Just looked at July and I did 226m which is my highest since 2020.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.