Shades Marathon Training

16 lurkers | 30 watchers
1 Aug
6:36am, 1 Aug 2024
3,811 posts
  •  
Big_G
X Post Cal, the vagaries of the Garmin algorithm. Mine suggests training sessions that always make me laugh. I keep the feature on, mainly for the comedic value it provides each morning. In fairness to it, the HRV stuff seems pretty good. I was always dubious but it knows when I’m ill, sometimes before I do (it spiked very quickly when I had Covid, forv).
1 Aug
6:46am, 1 Aug 2024
3,380 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - great to see you here, at last 😉 Steve is the only one lost in the move now.

That sounds like £250 for your treatment was well worth it. Quite a few folk I know are waiting so long for NHS physio and then not being referred for further treatment just being told to rest and continue with a few exercises and 'see how it is in a few weeks', which is no good.

You didn't have that 55 that long, bad luck. I'm still using my 45. It's lasting well but I only use it as a watch when I go out and when running, it's switched off the rest of the time.

Rob - I do watch quite a bit of triathlon throughout the season but only watch the bike if it's an interesting or hilly course, usually it's a dull lap of a city centre so not worth watching IMHO.

Good you had that leg injury checked out just to be sure, must have been a hell of a knock. You did well to finish.

Congrats on the MOT.

Big G - how's your Dad?

5 miles this morning. Had a terrible night's sleep, too hot and humid, I hate this weather.
1 Aug
6:57am, 1 Aug 2024
3,812 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, he’s actually rallied again. I think the carers, district nurses etc are fairly surprised! We don’t feel the need to have someone there basically 24hrs of the day, so it’s back to ‘normal’ again, for now. Honestly, I thought this time it was it, and I was expecting a phone call at any time on Sunday or Monday to say he’d gone, but Tuesday he started looking a bit better, and yesterday he was back making jokes again. Need to catch up on stuff now as I had kind of rearranged everything to be there during the days over the last few days, but I’m lucky I have the flexibility to do that so I’m not complaining.
1 Aug
7:23am, 1 Aug 2024
3,383 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - he's tough, no doubting that.
1 Aug
7:37am, 1 Aug 2024
3,813 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’ve just messaged Steve, so hopefully he’ll get himself over here.
1 Aug
7:47am, 1 Aug 2024
3,814 posts
  •  
Big_G
Just to say about the tri, I agree the swim in particular didn’t make for great viewing as a casual spectator who doesn’t really know any of the competitors. Also, the way the bike was ridden, basically there was a large lead group and no one made any decisive move. The Eurosport commentators were surprised a couple of the strong riders didn’t try something on the bike, in order to play to their strengths. It all kicked off in the run though and that was exciting to watch from a British perspective.

So what do we think about Kipchoge’s chances then? It seems a pretty tough course and he fell short at Boston (although he was injured). It’d be amazing if he does it though, but it seems there will be quite a lot of competition. He is good at these championship races though, so can’t rule him out.
1 Aug
8:07am, 1 Aug 2024
3,384 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I don't think triathlon swimming is ever good viewing. Even swimming in the pool is very boring to watch IMHO. Just a lot of splashing.

Don't know about the marathon. Championship races often deliver surprises and new runners that we've never heard of before. I just hope they are both good races, it's lovely to watch a race with no pacers.
1 Aug
9:11am, 1 Aug 2024
4,268 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Cal: Sounds like money well spent for your injury.As for Garmin they are indeed nags if you do not switch off various things.But also you can be OCD about things.The only thing I trust is RHR and surprising y the HRV is pretty spot on and like Big G notices when I had covid or are ill before I know.

Rob: Be very careful with leg.

I loved the Tri and never expected that outcome with the mens tri!!! where did Alex get that from but I love the support between competitors especial Wilde and Yee.
I dont bother watching swim and only if bike course is interesting will I watch.

Big G : Glad Dad rallied through a tough time.

Shades: It was hot last night so well done on run.

I got up and out but had a hip issue and Achilles sore so continues but binned run after half a mile.RHR is back up +7 but I think just tiredness with heat.
1 Aug
10:07am, 1 Aug 2024
3,385 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - Yee was favourite to win, but when Wilde got a good lead it didn't look possible that Yee could do that killer finish. It was a great run.

Sorry you've got niggles today as well as higher RHR. Bloody weather doesn't help.

After 2 hot and restless nights I'm feeling a bit jaded, my eyes feel gritty.

Tonight is supposed to be cooler but not by much.
1 Aug
10:51am, 1 Aug 2024
4,269 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Roll on the weekend when it is cooler!

But top result from the 5k race.The race director emailed me to let me know no chip they left it all too late with WA so wanted to reduce the price I paid from £16 to £8.As a throw away remark I stated I rather defer due to Covid but happy to take the refund.He then deferred me to next year great news from such a great team.
It was tomorrow night!

Hope you get a decent sleep tonight and the eyes get better.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.