Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
30 Jul
11:26am, 30 Jul 2024
4,260 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
PT session this morning and up to 52.5 kg deadlift I know I can go heavier but pleasing to see progress.Also shoulder is fully healed as heaviest for chest press on bench.
30 Jul
3:27pm, 30 Jul 2024
13 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Shades - The salt tablets seem ok. Had some mild gas during runs (sorry for the TMI!) but nothing worse than that. Hope to do Abingdon in the future, everyone raves about it. I wonder why these races are filling up now, not like the economy’s tons better.

Big G - Wish you all the best with your dad. That’s such good news on that blasted foot. No need to reply but how have you done with weight since the PF. Presumably with the Zwifting you’ve managed to keep it off even if the running fitness has regressed? That’s always the problem for me when I’m off running for any time period. Not sure how many long runs I’ll end up doing, I always just try to fit in as many as possible. I’m travelling again next week to go back to the girls so might start the first quality run of the block at the weekend.

Ian - Nice 12

WP - Great progress. I’ve not done real deadlifts for years, I just do the single leg ones for injury prevention but I don’t get as much bang for my buck for overall strength with them.

6 miles earlier in feels like 36. Didn’t feel horrific though so must have acclimatised a bit.
30 Jul
3:53pm, 30 Jul 2024
3,362 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - 12 is pretty good considering the achilles was niggling a couple of days ago.

WP - good to hear the weight training is going well.

My gym is starting free classes in weight training. Just 30 minute session a week, each week a different exercise, first week is this week and it's deadlifts. I'm so keen to join but my back is not up to it yet so hoping he runs another course later in the year.

Rcouture - I can do the single leg deadlifts, doesn't niggle my back, which

I do find helpful for glutes and hamstrings. I have a muscle imbalance, my left leg has 0.2kg more muscle than my right leg so trying to correct that. Single leg deadlifts is good for that, I hope.

I think folk are getting back into the habit of racing again plus Abingdon is a good race to try and achieve a GFA time. There's not much choice when it comes to fast UK marathons in the autumn now.
30 Jul
3:54pm, 30 Jul 2024
3,363 posts
  •  
Shades
Edit: which....normal deadlifts do.
30 Jul
5:14pm, 30 Jul 2024
4,262 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Rcouture: That was impressive in the heat!
Maybe you can start deadlifting again?

Shades: That is a shame about the class hopefully it will be run again at the gym.

I did think do i still need a PT ,but I know I get so much from my session that I am still going and seeing improvements week on week.
30 Jul
5:26pm, 30 Jul 2024
3,364 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - if you enjoy your PT sessions then keep doing them, you're making great progress too.

I've never had a PT session. When I started in earnest at the gym to reduce fat and gain muscle I just had a great instructor that was there when I needed him, never paid him! Once I'm back from the IOM I must get on the body analyser again and see where I'm at fat% wise.
31 Jul
5:07am, 31 Jul 2024
3,366 posts
  •  
Shades
Very warm last night, not good for sleeping but the restlessness didn't set my back off which was good.

Rest day today.
31 Jul
7:56am, 31 Jul 2024
3,806 posts
  •  
Big_G
RCouture, I’m not ‘racing weight’. For day to day life I’m totally fine, but I could do with losing a few pounds for my running. I am making inroads into that, as it’s slowly coming off. This time of year, ice cream-based products (affogatos, mainly), tend to work against me :)

6 miles for me today, and on a whim I threw in half a dozen adhoc strides in the last 1.5 miles or so. Quite enjoyed them, actually. Rest day from running tomorrow.
31 Jul
11:30am, 31 Jul 2024
230 posts
  •  
Ian5
Just watched the end of the men's triathlon,incredible finish from Yee,it was looking like he might slip to 3rd then all of a sudden he flew.
8 before work today,felt all good,but a little slow,gonna be a hot one today.
31 Jul
11:48am, 31 Jul 2024
3,372 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that was an brilliant finish, just when we all thought he'd gone off too fast.

He does have a 5km PB of 13xx minutes.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.