Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
27 Jul
8:58am, 27 Jul 2024
3,313 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - good you can run today, are you feeling better too?
27 Jul
9:15am, 27 Jul 2024
224 posts
  •  
Ian5
7 before work today,as usual it wasn't great but it was the only time I could fit it in today.
Shades-No I haven't been doing any exercise,I've never managed to stick to it,I know I need to and hope I'll keep it up 1 day.
27 Jul
9:32am, 27 Jul 2024
3,315 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - start with one wall sit a day for one minute, you can do that whilst on the phone 😉

Just confirmed my entry for Conne 2025, I had deferred. RO sends a discount code for full value to avoid a lot of DNS's on the day.

So tempting to upgrade to the ultra but as I'm barely able to complete a marathon right now that would be foolish. 🤣
27 Jul
9:50am, 27 Jul 2024
3,794 posts
  •  
Big_G
WP, all we have in the van is the roll out bed and a simple mattress topper from The Range! I do bring my pillow from home as well. At home we did get a new mattress about 18 months ago I think it was, and it’s a good one, comfortable etc. I wonder if it’s just being on holiday, being outside all the time etc makes me sleep well.

Ross-on-Wye parkrun this morning, plus the mile there and back, for 34 for the week. Happy with that.

It’s quite a small event, 2-lapper on grass tracks near the river. Enjoyable and they have a clubhouse there servicing drinks etc, but I had to get back as OH and I have plans today.
27 Jul
10:05am, 27 Jul 2024
4,249 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: I do feel better today.Yesterday I felt awful most of day.
great news on Conne and yes marathon seems the sensible option ;-).

Big G I imagine it is all the above that makes you sleep well.

Just a short run 30 minutes laps of the Rec as the heavens opened and it was lashing it down.Back home change and in my ice pod for a whole 12 minutes the water temp is 19 degrees so did but some ice in it. I think I will aim for 15 minutes whilst temps are warmer then 10 minutes when temps are lower.
27 Jul
12:29pm, 27 Jul 2024
3,316 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - maybe that frustrating drive yesterday helped you sleep too.

WP - good you're feeling better and enjoying the ice pod.
28 Jul
7:22am, 28 Jul 2024
3,797 posts
  •  
Big_G
Things haven’t gone exactly to plan as we came home last night. OH, Tigg and I all fine but Dad has taken a turn for the worst so I think I need to be close by. His partner has been sitting with him all day yesterday and overnight and needs a break. On the positive the journey only took 2hrs30 this time.

He’s not eating or drinking, and is very unwell. The GP did go up last week and there’s some kind of pack on the bedroom door which I think has instructions that he wants to stay at home regardless, has a DNR note and I think has strong medication for pain relief, that I believe the district nurses can administer if he needs it (not totally sure on all this, I’ll find out later). He’s bounced back from a lot the last 3 or 4 years but this does seem a bit different somehow.
28 Jul
7:44am, 28 Jul 2024
3,322 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - so sorry to hear your Dad is so poorly. At least you weren't too far from home and can be with him.

5 miles this morning, back a bit niggly but OK, cool, felt fresher today.
28 Jul
10:33am, 28 Jul 2024
4,253 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Really sorry to hear about dad and hope he pulls through: Big G

Hope back settles down again Shades.

It did feel fresher this morning 12 degrees when I went out but 25 degrees at the moment!! First time RHR stayed down and not flucuated so fingers crossed still fatigued.
28 Jul
11:09am, 28 Jul 2024
3,324 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - that's really positive news on the RHR.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.