Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
29 Jul
8:46am, 29 Jul 2024
3,331 posts
  •  
Shades
(((Big G))) - sounds like you're doing everything that you can for your Dad.
29 Jul
10:23am, 29 Jul 2024
4,256 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G: I am really sorry to hear this a tough place to be at the moment.Stay strong if you can.
29 Jul
12:35pm, 29 Jul 2024
3,334 posts
  •  
Shades
Good to see Abingdon marathon has sold out. They've amended the time limit to 6 hours, I think🤔.
There is a waiting list as they will operate a transfer list.
30 Jul
7:31am, 30 Jul 2024
3,350 posts
  •  
Shades
5 miles today, nice morning, warmer but a bit fresher.

Gym later
30 Jul
7:36am, 30 Jul 2024
228 posts
  •  
Ian5
Great news on Abingdon,didn't that used to sell out before Covid? Chester got a record this year with 10 weeks to go.
Achilles seems better again today so good to run,only day off this week so may be my long run,will see when I'm awake properly.
30 Jul
7:41am, 30 Jul 2024
3,353 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - years ago, pre Chester marathon it was more or less the only 'fast' marathon in the autumn. It used to sell out in February, 8 months before race date.

Good news the achilles has settled down again.
30 Jul
7:46am, 30 Jul 2024
4,259 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Sounds good with those Autumn marathons filling up again.

Ian : Good news on Achilles!
Shades: Not long to go for IOM :)
30 Jul
8:12am, 30 Jul 2024
3,803 posts
  •  
Big_G
First 10-miler for a long time today. Felt okay for most of it, but miles 9 and 10 HR was getting high, so I think I’ve found my limit for now. I could have carried on, but really not sure that’s good training for me at this stage, so I think 10ish will be my limit for the next 3 weeks or so. Foot felt fine though, so that’s good! If I can do 40ish a week this week and the next couple of weeks or so, I’ll be happy.
30 Jul
8:53am, 30 Jul 2024
3,354 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - good running. Cardiac drift is certainly more noticeable after 8 miles or so, but you're progressing well with your increased mileage. Glad to hear the foot is behaving.

WP - no, not long. 😀 I'm all sorted just have to pull off my DVLA code and check in for flight(s).
30 Jul
11:22am, 30 Jul 2024
229 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Main thing has to be keeping that foot under control.
Went to the park today so I could decide the distance as I went,told myself I'd stop if I felt the achilles. I got to nearly 12 when I could feel the burning sensation that comes before it gets sore,so stopped then.Next week was going to be an easier week so no harm if it's this week instead.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.