Shades Marathon Training

19 lurkers | 30 watchers
31 Jul
12:06pm, 31 Jul 2024
4,264 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades Exactly keep it going and see more improvement hopefully.

Great work out in the heat this morning Ian,Big G and Shades.

I got up and out before a coffee wanting to beat the heat and worked an hours running and RHR +4 it dropped so finally I can build up slowly having lost all of July! In ice tub after run which was really nice :)

I need to catch up on Triathlon....did they swim in Seine after all?
31 Jul
12:15pm, 31 Jul 2024
231 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-Yes they both swam this morning.
I'm not sure if they release splits but it would be interesting to see that last km and see how much faster Yee went or if it was more Wilde collapsing.
31 Jul
12:17pm, 31 Jul 2024
3,808 posts
  •  
Big_G
Wilde was looking around in the last km or so, it seemed, whereas Yee seemed to keep his form and reeled Wilde in.
31 Jul
12:18pm, 31 Jul 2024
3,374 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I haven't done anything more strenuous today than clean the bathroom 🙃 Rest day for me.

Can't imagine running before a cup of coffee first thing. 😱

Yes, triathletes swam in the Seine. Both races worth watching, although I skip the swim and bike, I do watch the transitions though.
31 Jul
12:22pm, 31 Jul 2024
4,265 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ah Shades I swore you ran 5 miles this morning :)

I will look forward to watching them both.
31 Jul
12:55pm, 31 Jul 2024
3,375 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - to be fair, I did run 5 miles on Monday and 5 miles on Tuesday .
31 Jul
7:47pm, 31 Jul 2024
11 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Hey hey everyone - Big G messaged me on Facebook to get my arse over here so here I am. I have done very little running all year due to my hip and it actually seemed to get worse. In desperation, I booked myself in with a guy who does ultrasound scans and injections and got that done yesterday morning. Worth £250 given the time I'd have to wait to get it done on the NHS, if they agreed to do it at all. Interestingly, he said the joint actually looked pretty good but was just irritated, so he was happy to shoot some cortisone in there to settle it down. I'm taking it easy for a few days as cortisone can take a few days to work its magic (I did have a slow gentle stroll this morning and there was a bit of an ache but overall it felt OK, and I've done some gentle mobility stuff - isometrics only - in front of the telly).

Anyway, I can put my feet up in front of the Olympics.
How about that Alex Yee finish eh?
31 Jul
8:50pm, 31 Jul 2024
44 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Cal hope you’re well, one of the benefits of the cortisone is the pain relief and also the possibility that your form may have been out and the lack of pain will mean you return to form.

Shades you sound like me skipping the swim and the bike of the tri, watched some of the swim but the race only really happens on the run. 2 fantastic races!

FVC haven’t finalised the results yet, just use the 5hr 48 and will confirm the seconds if they produce them.

Leg is still badly bruised, over the weekend it was bad and Monday I was in a lot of pain. My leg was swollen and concerned it was something more serious, decided to take myself off to hospital, x ray confirmed no break and just to rest and ice. Today doesn’t seem as bad so hopefully should be able to get around a bit easier.

In other news car passed MOT with very little required
1 Aug
6:24am, 1 Aug 2024
12 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Take it easy, Rob! Good there's no break - don't want another DVT though eh?

My Forerunner 55 packed up the other week - something got corrupted and I couldn't sync any more (I did try to pair it to my phone but said phone is too old for the app, so that was a non-starter). Anyway, decided to get a new one. Opted for the 255. My god it's a relentless troll, nagging me about my unproductive training status (duh, I am injured) and poor sleep (how is a post-menopausal woman with an aching hip supposed to sleep in a 29 degree room?) I do like it, but it ignores the positives of weight training and other stuff like pilates (which I am now doing once a week). Anyway, I've hit the pause training button until I can run again properly.
1 Aug
6:28am, 1 Aug 2024
3,810 posts
  •  
Big_G
Good to hear from you Cal. Hopefully the injection will help get you going again. Just need to get Steve back over here now I think!

That’s annoying about the delay in the FVC results Robert. Good news about the MOT - that’s always a relief. Also, as you said, good there’s nothing too sinister with the leg, and hopefully rest will sort it.

I did a Zwift session yesterday afternoon and had planned to do another ride today, but legs are feeling it, so apart from a couple of dog walks, probably today will be a rest day. Still on track for my 40ish miles this week though. I’m enjoying the Olympics too - I got engrossed in the BMX competition yesterday, and those guys are crazy!

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.