Shades Marathon Training

6 lurkers | 30 watchers
1 Aug
11:01am, 1 Aug 2024
3,386 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - that's a real bonus being able to defer to next year when you should be able to run a stronger race.

Was your recent virus Covid (again)?
1 Aug
11:24am, 1 Aug 2024
4,270 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
It was my third time sadly and why I was so careful .Every time I am at surgery I pick up something.Not helped as at surgery every 6 weeks.I am due on 15th of this month so mask and gloves on for me this time.
1 Aug
12:01pm, 1 Aug 2024
3,388 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - that's really bad luck. Perhaps wait in the car park next time whilst waiting to be called in 😉
1 Aug
2:02pm, 1 Aug 2024
13 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Hope you feel better soon, WP. I've somehow managed to avoid covid, though I've had plenty of colds. I have to admit I am always wary of docs and hospitals because sick people go there. 😆

Shades, I had the 55 more than 2 years - with me, they tend to last around that long before they get glitchy. It's possible that plugging them into the PC is harder on them than uploading to phone.
1 Aug
4:16pm, 1 Aug 2024
3,391 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - I think it's often luck, or bad luck, as to how long a Garmin lasts. Previously I've had to replace mine when it doesn't hold its charge for as long as it should, or the screen mists up letting in a bit of damp.

I plug mine in every day to recharge, just habit when I recharge my phone. So I don't think plugging it into your PC is any different.

I haven't done a long run or run a marathon for 15 months so my Garmin may let me down on the next marathon, we'll see.
1 Aug
6:42pm, 1 Aug 2024
232 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-I had covid twice,that I know of,first time it knocked me badly,it was just after Boston so not sure if it was worse as my body was run down anyway.
Seen the Triathlon splits and top 3 all ran a sub 30 10k.
Bonus 7m today as I wasn't expecting to run.
1 Aug
7:44pm, 1 Aug 2024
3,815 posts
  •  
Big_G
Considering something a bit different for me this weekend; Saturdays, if I’m running, virtually always include a parkrun day for me. But as I want to watch the men’s cycling road race at Olympics on Saturday, which I think starts at 10am, I’m thinking I’ll get out and do my run early, and hence miss parkrun.
1 Aug
7:52pm, 1 Aug 2024
3,395 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I hear Pogacar has withdrawn from the Olympics.

In theory an Olympic gold medal should be the ultimate sporting achievement. But IMHO in cycling it isn't, nor football, tennis, golf etc.

You might want to rejig next weekend's schedule too as it's the men's marathon, it may have finished in time for you to nip to parkrun, not sure.
1 Aug
8:17pm, 1 Aug 2024
3,816 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, yeah Pogacar withdrew after the Tour, but there are lots of big names in the race.
2 Aug
5:12am, 2 Aug 2024
3,396 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - Pogacar withdrew stating tiredness, but apparently his girlfriend not being selected to compete was a major factor when making that decision.

No run for me this morning, had another hot and restless night, that's 3 in a row, and all the tossing and turning set my back off. Annoying as it's significantly cooler and fresher this morning, just hasn't filtered into my flat yet. I will go out for a walk this morning instead, once my back settles, which it's doing now that I'm up and about.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.