Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
25 Jul
2:23pm, 25 Jul 2024
4,243 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I am staying Friday till Tuesday I would like longer but can't get cover for OH.So will make the most of it and my new bus pass;-)
25 Jul
2:27pm, 25 Jul 2024
70,090 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
We'll have to have a wee Fetch meet-up and raise a glass to Oscar before or after the race :)
25 Jul
2:40pm, 25 Jul 2024
3,281 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - didn't take you long to set up the ice tub and have your first dip.

I do love Ireland and Connemara, Cork and Dublin are 3 of my favourites. There's a few others I want to do again such as Longford and Dingle.

I'm not so keen on self catering although I enjoyed renting a cottage in Listowel one year.

I haven't booked any accommodation for Newport. If they use the same park and ride I will drive up on the day.
25 Jul
3:14pm, 25 Jul 2024
4,244 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Vrap Absolutely it was just me this year but raised my glass to Oscar before and after race.

Shades: It was pretty straight forward.I always fancied Connemara and Cork so must have another look at them.
because of my food issues it is so much easier for me to go self catering.
25 Jul
3:41pm, 25 Jul 2024
3,284 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - Cork and Connemara have half marathon options too. Cork is flat. Connemara half is tough, 2 very
significant hills.

I don't think we got any food at the finish in Cork, but you finish in the main shopping street in the city, plenty of cafes/bars.

At Connemara they had a choice of wraps or sandwiches at the finish, you need something as takes about an hour to get back to Galway on the bus and I find my own food put into bag storage isn't so appealing.
25 Jul
6:04pm, 25 Jul 2024
217 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-Good news on the tub arriving and working well.
7 very easy miles after work,same again the HR just stayed very low as the legs had no kick at all.
26 Jul
5:39am, 26 Jul 2024
3,287 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I expect your short fast race was a bit of a shock to the legs. You're on for another good training week.

Unlike me, I'm ending up with an unintentional taper. Had a much better night, back just slightly niggly this morning but have decided to not run until Sunday. Back should be fine by then.

Gym this morning instead.
26 Jul
6:32am, 26 Jul 2024
4,245 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks Ian.Hope you legs will be back in a few days.

Shades: Cork is June and I don't like June as too warm and Connemara is two week after Newport so not next year but it is the one I would fancy more than any other.

Shame about no running with back but wise to be careful.

My RHR shot back up to +8 so hope it is a blip maybe all the extra work filling my tub. going out later as have to get OH off for his trip to seaside with the oldies and they get fish and chips and Ice cream.
26 Jul
6:45am, 26 Jul 2024
3,292 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - at least no cooking today for OH then 😉

Hope that RHR settles soon, sounds like that bug/virus is still lingering.

Cork is always first weekend in June and Connemara date is roughly end of April, has been end of March on occasion. Connemara is a very special race. Lots of overseas runners, many travel from further than Europe to run it.
26 Jul
8:01am, 26 Jul 2024
3,789 posts
  •  
Big_G
Had a lovely run on my regular 7 mile route. I’ve a Fetch Mile set up, which is the 4th mile on that route and is flat, and today was the quickest for some time at my training HR, which was pleasing especially as it was a few beats under and felt very in control. On that one listed at the bottom, I was struggling to keep below the HR that I wanted. It’s still over a minute slower than my quickest times along there at that HR, but there are glimpses that things do seem to be moving in the right direction, although it’s never linear as we all know! Perfect conditions today mind you, but I’ll still take it.

Shades, I’ve been looking at ‘Lap of the Gap’. Definitely no firm plans in any way, but OH and I want to go back to Ireland in the van, and I was looking at that a part of maybe a two week

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.