Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
24 Jul
9:27am, 24 Jul 2024
4,235 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Rob: Glad Legs are feeling a little better!

Sounds tough with insurance providers for OSM!

Well seems the company has chased courier as pod being delivered today.RHR dropped to +7 so a gentle run over 3 miles.
24 Jul
9:52am, 24 Jul 2024
214 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-But Parkrun is timed and position but isn't a competition 😉
WP-Good news on the pod(hopefully)
Just been out for 4 miles,should mean over 10 with warm up etc tonight.
Now to be an elite,hydrate,refresh legs etc.
24 Jul
10:09am, 24 Jul 2024
3,263 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - good news, hope it turns up today.

Rob/Big G - I'm happy with the wording as it's specifically listed that marathon running is covered. There is no other type of marathon running except marathons ( races as we refer to them).

I take competition to mean for instance being selected to run in Vets Championships. Runners are receiving letters now about that, but events are in England so travel insurance not really an issue.
24 Jul
11:28am, 24 Jul 2024
3,785 posts
  •  
Big_G
Also, for Europe Shades we have got GHIC as well. I mean I’ve never had to use any of it, but I like to think that is a safety net as well. But that was no good for me for USA and Japan. It’s incredibly unlikely I’ll need it but I had a scenario where I’d rack up 1000s of dollars of bills in America at a race after an incident so felt I needed something. The wording of Boston when I looked at it made it very clear the individual would be responsible for any medical provision required.

Anyway, 8 miles today on the hilliest route I’ve got around here, at around 1400ft (according to Garmin which I know may not be accurate). Regardless it is very hilly and as such quite a bit of it not runnable (probably 2.5 to 3 miles is a fast walk uphill, and that gets the HR up, even walking), but it’s a nice route, around 50/50 road/trail.
24 Jul
12:21pm, 24 Jul 2024
3,265 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - yes, I have GHIC card too. I hope I never need to use the travel insurance but even in Europe it's the repatriation costs if not able to travel back as planned that can run into tens of thousands.

We all agree to race disclaimers and quite rightly too, can hardly expect an event to be responsible for our medical fees.

Outside of Europe, certainly USA and Canada really important to have a credit card with you. A guy at my gym collapsed when on holiday in Canada and they wouldn't treat him until they'd swiped his credit card. He then reclaimed the costs from his travel insurer.

Well done on your hilly run today.

Just when I've decided to do some hilly runs, 90% if my usual hilly routes are not accessible. They've closed the road out of town that leads to Totnes road. Official diversion for traffic is 22 miles via Paignton. For locals wanting to cross town they are using all the back roads, Chercombe Bridge/Denbury/Ogwell/Abbotskerwell/Decoy. Road is closed for 3 weeks then traffic controlled until October. It's Devon so I'll find hills elsewhere but not so close to home.
24 Jul
9:44pm, 24 Jul 2024
215 posts
  •  
Ian5
5m race tonight,3 and half laps of the lower park.Settled into what felt a reasonable 10k pace for the first 1.5laps.Earlier I'd spotted a clubmate just ahead who is closely matched to myself and we yoyo'd a little,on the 3rd lap who took me quite easily on the uphill then I caught him on the down.Last lap I felt strong so made my move before we got to the hill and kept it strong up the hill,looked back and I'd pulled clear,nice downhill to end and in the last mile I'd put 30s on him.Finished in 32:55,a little slower than I'd have liked but happy that I finished strong.
Converters put that at around 3:13 so still a bit of work to do.
Course best but not a 5m best.
25 Jul
5:29am, 25 Jul 2024
3,272 posts
  •  
Shades
Well done Ian. That's a very good result especially as your first race since your fall and shoulder injury.

Forecast of 3:13 is pretty good at this stage, you still have a few weeks of training to do.

No run for me today. Had a really bad night which set my back off. It was a bit warm so I was a bit restless then a neighbour's car alarm woke me twice during the night.
25 Jul
8:26am, 25 Jul 2024
3,275 posts
  •  
Shades
Booked my Dublin hotel, slightly cheaper than 2 years ago. Night before the marathon is €233 euro 😲 , other 2 nights a lot cheaper. I know in 2022 some late bookers were paying up to €400 for a room the night before the race.

My credit card budget now looking 'normal' .
25 Jul
9:55am, 25 Jul 2024
3,787 posts
  •  
Big_G
Well done Ian. Great racing there for a course record for yourself.

Sounds like the card is getting a good airing, Shades!

I did a session on Zwift late yesterday and will do a couple of hours or so on the bike later today. Rest day from running today, but plan still is to run tomorrow and Saturday. We’re going away Friday so I will be doing Ross on Wye parkrun on Saturday, all being well. Last time we were in that area, our old dog, Hiske, went down a very steep river bank into the River Wye…..and then couldn’t get back out, making a right racket about the situation she found herself in. That was, errrrm, interesting.
25 Jul
10:17am, 25 Jul 2024
42 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Ian great race always nice to make some clear water between you and the person you were racing? Do you usually find running downhills stronger than uphills? What way is comrades next year?

Shades not too bad for the hotel the night before, the card deserves to be used!

Big G hope Tigg doesn’t have the same experience as Hiske!

The bruise from my fall is still painful so couldn’t run yesterday, massaged the area and the bruise seems to be coming out. Couple of days annual leave, off to London for a murder mystery round the city of London (self guided get a book with challenges) then a bite to eat then off to Michael Jackson musical.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.