Shades Marathon Training

5 lurkers | 30 watchers
23 Jul
7:55am, 23 Jul 2024
3,241 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - I'm stuck on 408 now, haven't run a marathon for 15 months 😭

Good news on your Berlin hotel and flight, some consolation for having to pay over the odds last time.

Ian - Just checked my list, I've done 16 Dublin marathons, so this will be my 17th.

5 miles today. My legs are wrecked after yesterday's manic hilly run. I was planning to go to the gym today but pointless when legs are sore so will postpone until tomorrow.
23 Jul
8:12am, 23 Jul 2024
3,774 posts
  •  
Big_G
Crikey Shades, that’s a long time between marathons for you!

This year is going to be low numbers for me, comparatively. I keep on looking at ones close to NYC, but I really want to try and enjoy that one and get around it relatively pain free if I can. When I think of the 4 majors I’ve done over the last couple of years, I’ve been battling this blasted PF for all of them, so it would be great if I could run New York relatively pain free, which is partly what is stopping me booking more. Regarding New York, I need to put my booking forward soon for how I want to get to the start. I’m thinking the Staten Island Ferry option, but I need to look more closely about the other options in comparison to where I’m actually staying, which I’ll do over the coming days. I think logistics are a bit more challenging, certainly compared to Chicago which was very, very easy.
23 Jul
9:01am, 23 Jul 2024
3,243 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - it wouldn't have been so long if I hadn't missed my flight to the IOM last August 😭

It would be great if you could run NYC pain free and relaxed, without worrying that the PF may kick in.

Can't help re travel to the start, I went with Mike Gratton's company and we had a dedicated coach to the start.
23 Jul
9:09am, 23 Jul 2024
3,245 posts
  •  
Shades
I'm assuming no other August marathons planned, just mine.

23 Jul
10:11am, 23 Jul 2024
3,246 posts
  •  
Shades
Dublin flights booked. Ouch, not cheap, but normally I'd have booked over 6 months ago.

I even looked at Ryanair to compare prices but they were only £15 cheaper for the whole trip and wasn't sure whether there were other Ryanair costs I hadn't factored in.

I have flown with Ryanair once before, well twice, had to come home. I swore never again, shudders at the thought.
23 Jul
10:58am, 23 Jul 2024
70,025 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
We used Ryanair to go to Seville this year. It was fine. For a flying visit to Dublin, I'd probably get the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast as a foot passenger and then the train to Dublin, but Cairnryan's almost as close to home as my nearest working airport.
23 Jul
11:11am, 23 Jul 2024
211 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-I stayed mid mahattan and got the bus from the library,seemed a lot easier just to get 1 bus then not worry,but all depends where you are staying.
23 Jul
11:29am, 23 Jul 2024
3,247 posts
  •  
Shades
Vrap - no point in travelling to an airport and all the necessary waiting around when the ferry is easily accessible.

I have in the past taken the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin, the fast one only takes a couple of hours and bus to the city centre.
23 Jul
11:38am, 23 Jul 2024
70,029 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
We've looked at that for future visits too, Shades, it would just mean doing the land bit of the journey on this side of the water instead of the other :) The ferry is so much more pleasant a way to travel, and inexpensive as a foot passenger.
23 Jul
11:55am, 23 Jul 2024
5,986 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Had to use Ryanair for Copenhagen earlier this year & tbf it went swimmingly. Only use them as a last resort tbh.

The problem is when something goes wrong. I’m pretty sure that’s the only the second time I’ve ever used them.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.