Shades Marathon Training

4 lurkers | 30 watchers
22 Jul
9:21am, 22 Jul 2024
3,231 posts
  •  
Shades
xpost Ian - I heard there was an accident last week and a cyclist was seriously injured, didn't see an update that he sadly died.

An early morning run starts your weekly mileage nicely.
22 Jul
10:19am, 22 Jul 2024
3,772 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ian, similar to Shades, I had read about the incident, although hadn’t heard that he had died. I’ve no idea of the circumstances so this isn’t related to that incident at all, but generally I do think it’s becoming more dangerous cycling around here. Just more traffic, busy roads etc mean that personally I’m sticking to Zwift. There was a time that I’d cycle around Dartmoor but I feel the roads to/from are busier now.

I saw on the Tri group an experienced cyclist recently got purposefully driven at by an angry car driver and had to take evasive action, and it feels that these incidents are more common now (or maybe with social media they’re just more easily reported and read about).

As I say, none of that is commenting on the sad incident, I’m just talking generally.
22 Jul
10:28am, 22 Jul 2024
4,226 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Sorry to hear about the cyclist passing away that is so sad.

I do know that around here the drivers seem to be respectful of cyclists and always seem groups of cyclists on the road.But it only takes one angry driver to cause a fatality.
22 Jul
10:34am, 22 Jul 2024
209 posts
  •  
Ian5
We got told about it over the weekend,think th accident was last Sunday and he died on Wednesday.Seeing how people drive I'd never want to cycle outside.I would actually feel safer in the town than rural as roads are generally wider here.
We have the opposite problem at the minute,a cyclist in the park purposely doesn't move when runners get close,he has been reported to the police as he jumped off his bike and threatened someone last week,so we're all keeping an eye out for him.
22 Jul
11:44am, 22 Jul 2024
3,233 posts
  •  
Shades
I haven't ridden a bike since I was 15 and have no inclination to do so. I wouldn't have the nerve to cycle on the roads around here anyway. We have high volumes of traffic and plenty of narrow roads, high hedges, blind corners. Drivers don't give cyclists the respect they deserve and many treat runners badly too. I'm very quick to signal to a driver if they're too close to me when I'm out running, I also thank them when they give me plenty room.
22 Jul
12:12pm, 22 Jul 2024
3,234 posts
  •  
Shades
I've got a place in Dublin Marathon 🥳🥳🥳

Places that had been refunded were up for resale at noon today. I sat here refreshing the screen, then was put in a queue I was number 126 in the queue, but quickly redirected to entry page.

Will be an expensive weekend but my credit card has been fairly idle this year.
22 Jul
12:56pm, 22 Jul 2024
3,237 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - just come up on local BBC news. Sadly typical Devon road, no room to avoid accident.

bbc.com
22 Jul
1:41pm, 22 Jul 2024
34 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Ian tragic news about your daughter’s friend.

Big G good start to the week, tend to agree with social media probably hear more about incidents and then you have the ones who think they know best and spout aspersions without a care of family and friends of those involved.

Shades great news about Dublin, good job your card has been idle this year.

WP I could do with an ice bath for my leg.

Very sleepless night and took to the sofa, side I wanted to sleep was where the bruise was on my shin. Legs very swollen this morning.

Made it out for a swim and walk about town. Just off out again now for cake and coffee, need to keep moving.
22 Jul
2:05pm, 22 Jul 2024
3,238 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - ouch to the legs. When you do stop moving elevate them to help with any swelling.

Well done again for yesterday.

Is Stevenage your next race for the list?
22 Jul
2:45pm, 22 Jul 2024
4,227 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades; Well done get a highly sort after place at Dublin,It maybe expensive but what a weekend you will have.

Rob:Those legs sound very sore maybe you need one more than me :)

Heard from my running friend and she has just bought an ice tub to help with legs and knees .She did say 10 mins is a long time and takes your breathe away....LOL

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.