Shades Marathon Training

5 lurkers | 30 watchers
21 Jul
7:13am, 21 Jul 2024
4,216 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: Yes for standing in or sitting in ;)
Sorry you had issues sleeping and with your back.

Rob: Blimey hope you get to your race on time!!

Big G Sounds like a step up in training this week hope all goes well this coming week.
21 Jul
9:08am, 21 Jul 2024
3,214 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - so can we expect in the depths of winter you'll be cracking the ice and jumping into the ice tub? 🥶

Cooler here this morning, back to normal temperatures indoors.
21 Jul
9:15am, 21 Jul 2024
4,220 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: I will be gingerly jumping in braving my new world with a bobble hat on;-)

Still pretty humid indoors as I opened back door to come in I could feel it. 24 degrees indoors 18 degrees outside.

I ran a little bit more than yesterday as RHR was the same around 33 minutes worth I think.The flattest route I have I was tempted by the normal hill iuse but opted to play the sensible card.
21 Jul
9:50am, 21 Jul 2024
9 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Rob - Fingers crossed for you to get to your race today

Shades -Thanks for that comprehensive report. Sounds like that out and back in an industrial estate is the only potential negative really. Newport will be a new one for me as I’ve never done a low key UK marathon. There was that funny Covid Kempton Park one but that was just odd.

Big G - Does sound like you’re motoring again. Hip and achilles niggles both seem to be slowly getting better. However I’ve a hint of heel pain on my right foot (not the achilles one) today that is worth keeping an eye on/stretching.

WP - Nice run. Very humid down here too

Just under 18 yesterday. Decided it was too early for MP miles so ran it at a steady moderate pace. Felt pretty good despite the feels like 27c. Rest today.
21 Jul
10:01am, 21 Jul 2024
3,215 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - hope you've got a warm bobble hat.

Good you were able to run a little further today.

Rcouture - the Newport route has been changed a bit since I ran it. Looks like there's a loop just after the start, details here
newportwalesmarathon.co.uk

I didn't read of any complaints about the route this year.

You didn't waste much time getting out for a long run, very impressive.
21 Jul
11:11am, 21 Jul 2024
206 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rob-Hats off to you if you get to race today.
Big G-Yes thanks,just an idiot overnight driver unable to set alarms properly.
WP-Wouldn't catch me in an ice tub,even have to wait for the shower to properly heat up before I step under.
12 today felt nice,cooled down a lot so it was really enjoyable.HR well in control and pace improving.52 for the week,I was hoping for slightly more but I only ran 5 days this week,but that's my 4th 50+ week on the run.
21 Jul
12:10pm, 21 Jul 2024
3,216 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - another good week for you, especially with only 5 runs.

In my past at one of my many jobs I was primary key holder if the alarm went off. Fortunately, before I ever had a call out, the police insisted I was removed from the list as I lived 10 miles away. I could get there in 20 minutes but only if there were no traffic delays and they weren't happy about that.

You wouldn't catch me in an ice tub either, nor a cold shower.
21 Jul
2:16pm, 21 Jul 2024
145 posts
  •  
alehouse
I know a lot of people were unhappy with this year's Newport marathon: measured about 300 yards too long. I presume that they will pay extra attention to getting it right next time!

bbc.co.uk
21 Jul
2:49pm, 21 Jul 2024
207 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Police don't turn up these days unless we call them and confirm a break in.
I have been practising with high carb gels and drinks etc,mainly for Comrades but potentially for HCA also,used the drink today.It has 60g of carbs per 500g water,the gels contain 50g,so double Hi5 that I usually use.The main purpose today was to check it gave me no stomach issues and it passed that test,so will use it on a longer run soon.
21 Jul
3:36pm, 21 Jul 2024
3,218 posts
  •  
Shades
@alehouse finish times were adjusted so no problem really about the nature of the course. They'll measure correctly for next year. If a course is short that's more of a concern.

Ian - good your new fuelling worked out well for you in training. That will certainly help especially with Comrades.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.