Shades Marathon Training

11 lurkers | 30 watchers
20 Jul
10:25am, 20 Jul 2024
4,212 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks I have made a note if I go next year it will be fly and bus to Douglas and stay there.
I shall wait to hear how the weather was for you:)
20 Jul
10:38am, 20 Jul 2024
3,205 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - the weather is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than here with a light breeze. Can be quite cool at night even in August, not unusual for hotels to put the heating on.
20 Jul
4:58pm, 20 Jul 2024
205 posts
  •  
Ian5
Alarm call last night so pretty tired today so took it off.
Interesting post in out running whatsapp group.A new race company is starting the Wirral Ultra again in November,approx 35m loop of the Wirral,did it in 2018 I think so a good long distance run for me.
20 Jul
5:25pm, 20 Jul 2024
3,207 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that will fit in nicely with your Comrades training.

Big G - sorry missed your earlier post, I think we posted at the same time.

Well done, a good week's training from you.

Very sticky and humid here, hope that lifts a bit before my run tomorrow 🥵
20 Jul
6:01pm, 20 Jul 2024
4,215 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: You are selling and selling it to me :)

Very sticky and humid here we have 98% humidity.Think sleeping will be hard tonight! I am hoping no reaction to run so I can run again fingers crossed.

I have ordered and ice tub and think it will arrive Monday cue cold weather for sure ;-)
20 Jul
7:20pm, 20 Jul 2024
3,209 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I think once I mentioned the buffet you were sold on the idea 😉

An ice tub, for sitting/immersing yourself in ? 🥶
21 Jul
6:35am, 21 Jul 2024
3,212 posts
  •  
Shades
I'm writing this week off training wise.

Had a restless night, due to being too warm initially, which then set my back off so no run this morning.
21 Jul
6:39am, 21 Jul 2024
31 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
WP we bought some shark fans in June, that stopped the hot weather for a while.

Ian good work on that 20 mid week after the gardening.

Big G well done on the good week, positive signs with the 3 day streak.

Shades hope the humidity lifts for today!

Rcouture glad the girls enjoyed their holiday and kept up the running yourself.

After the England result on Sunday, Monday was a planned recovery day but I wasn’t as bad as I thought I could be. Still no running then Tue-Thurs didn’t feel great. Yesterday at the athletics, some great races there in the middle distance, the women’s 800m at Paris could have three GB runners in the final.

Issues with car and unable to find anyone I know running, so waiting to see if I can get a cab/uber at a reasonable rate or if not, a replacement bus service and 2 mile walk to the start to start about an hour late.
21 Jul
7:00am, 21 Jul 2024
3,213 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - that 800m race was a joy to watch.

Hope you can get to your race today OK.
21 Jul
7:06am, 21 Jul 2024
3,767 posts
  •  
Big_G
Crikey Robert, I hope you get there okay!

Sorry you’ve had a bad week training wise Shades. I went to see a documentary about the band Blur on Friday night, which was really good. Of course they’re all pushing 60 now and the drummer nearly jeopardised the tour as he pulled a ligament in his knee whilst bending over to pick up a tennis ball. He said that wasn’t the least ‘Rock n roll’ injury his doctor had seen that week as another patient picked up quite a bad injury whilst making a cup of tea.

WP, sounds cold!

Ian, I hope everything is fine after your emergency call out.

Rest day here for me today. Feel like I could do with one this week, so all fine, and hope to be back on it tomorrow.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.