Shades Marathon Training

5 lurkers | 30 watchers
19 Jul
3:48pm, 19 Jul 2024
3,197 posts
  •  
Shades
Should cool down for Rob's marathon on Sunday too.

My early start at the IOM marathon confirmed today. They did say marshals and first drink station unlikely to be on course but that's not a problem for me. My 21st running of this event, surely I can remember the route. Actually as as a 2 lap course my 41st (and 42nd time hopefully) on the route I shouldn't get lost 😅
19 Jul
6:44pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,209 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
What time are you started?
How long are you staying?
21 times you must like it🤣
19 Jul
6:45pm, 19 Jul 2024
204 posts
  •  
Ian5
Sorry to hear about the lack of runs/bad runs.
Shades-I meant to ask about the early start,good it is all sorted.
Not as hot as down south but still 26° when I finished work,did my usual 7,sweat was dropping from the start so just trudged around but got done.
19 Jul
7:17pm, 19 Jul 2024
3,199 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - starting half an hour earlier at 8 a.m.

I do like it there, first went in 1999. Was made redundant in 2006 so didn't go, although I did get a job straight away it was a bit late to book. Have skipped a couple when I was low on budget for the year and pandemic the race was cancelled.

Travelling out Friday, back Monday. They only fly once a week from Bristol.

A few times I've gone for the week, initially it was to do the race series for the week, 5 races in 6 days. Latterly they changed the format of the race series and didn't really suit me but I would use the week to run 100 miles, then 3 weeks later I'd knock out a PB or two as a result of the 100 mile training week.

Ian - 25/26 down here, not as hot as the SE thankfully.
19 Jul
8:51pm, 19 Jul 2024
8 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Landed back in London this morning, thankfully missing this IT debacle. Time away was great, though tough to leave the girls (for me, not them as they’re being rightly spoiled rotten and having a ball!). Have kept up the running including a couple of light workouts. Was all on the treadmill so a shock to the system to do 6 miles back here around the common today at 29c. Long run tomorrow. Debating whether it’s too early to add some quality to it for the first time this block.
20 Jul
5:49am, 20 Jul 2024
3,200 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - glad the girls are enjoying their holidays.

Yesterday was the first 'hot' day we've had. If you're not jet lagged no reason not to do a little speedwork.

After you'd left I discovered I did do a race report on Newport 2023, probably not really a lot of useful info for you but I'll copy it on here. Number of entrants has increased and slight changes to the course but much the same as far as I know
20 Jul
5:53am, 20 Jul 2024
3,201 posts
  •  
Shades
Newport Marathon 407

First time I’ve run this marathon so opted for the Park and Ride option, which turned out to be a good choice. Just off the M4 at the ICC which has impressive facilities and the cleanest car park I’ve ever seen. Many races will put runners on ancient school buses to take them to events but smart new double decker buses today. Brief journey to Newport and a bit of entertainment watching runners wearing carbon plated shoes trying to descend the stairs on the bus.

Short walk to the race HQ, a little light rain but plenty of places to shelter. I used the University building, comfortable chairs, coffee shop and even 30 minutes before the race no queue for the ladies toilet.

Baggage drop and changing area was close by in the underground car park. There was a baggage search, not sure why, we had been told. My bag was light so only a cursory check. Plenty of space in the car park, good for a warm up run too as only a couple of cars left there by unsuspecting motorists not realising they wouldn’t be able to move their cars.

No wave starts, but not required, took me nearly 4 minutes to reach the start line but immediately we were well spaced out as the roads are wide. Good atmosphere at the start and a fair amount of spectators. Slight incline over the SDR Bridge but apart from that the route was flat and 100% traffic free. We head out of Newport and after the first few miles turn off the main road onto narrower country roads and immediately we’re into the countryside. This is my preferred sort of course, country roads and through a few villages on the way, Weather was good, no wind, about 10 degrees which increased to about 13 degrees by the time I finished.

My knee started to niggle at about the third mile, I was hoping I could run the first half at race pace and then ease up for the second half. But it was getting progressively more painful, still manageable but starting to affect my pace and I was slowing. At 7 miles we saw the first 5 runners coming through at a good pace, (winner did 2:19). We then turned off to complete a 7 mile loop. At about 9 miles there were a couple of small inclines, one over a bridge and the change in incline seem to suit my knee as I then ran mile 10 at my second fastest mile. But it didn’t last and by halfway I was slowing a lot and knew I’d just have to do my best to get round. There were pockets of spectators and good support in the villages particularly Magor where we did a lap of the village square with rowdy support.

This is one of the friendliest races I’ve ever done, supportive marshalls and other runners were really chatty and that helped the miles pass. Plenty of water stations, water in 330ml bottles, my preferred size. Sports drink and gels handed out too at some of the drink stations.

At mile 20 I was overtaken by a man dressed as a post box. There were only a few in fancy dress. I had passed a guy dressed as a duck earlier who looked to be having a tough time, holding his duck head under his arm, which was quite a sad sight.

Soon we are back on the main road into Newport heading for the finish. At 23 miles we have to do an out and back section through an industrial estate to turn around at the Transporter Bridge. I had been warned about this section but I actually quite enjoyed it as it was an opportunity to see and support other runners, some of which I’d spoken to earlier on. At 24 miles my knee suddenly stopped hurting but I was too tired at this point to really take advantage of it, but it made the last couple of miles a little more enjoyable.
I actually managed a bit of a sprint up the finish straight. Nice medal (metal) and lovely t-shirt in the size I’d ordered and a good fit, so will be a keeper.

I thoroughly enjoyed this race, lovely route, total climb 304ft, according to my Garmin, definitely a fast PB course. I see from the results that out of 1712 finishers there were 117 runners achieving a sub 3 time, which seems a fairly high percentage to me.
The organisation is flawless, the course could easily accommodate another 5,000 runners, definitely deserves a bigger field. I’ll be going back next year.
20 Jul
9:54am, 20 Jul 2024
4,211 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I like all the positives for IOM.Where do you stay? Can I get around without a car .
Nice early start for race.

I have run just 2 miles nice and low HR well as low as I can get it.Hopefully no reaction and can build on it.

Good luck to racers this weekend? Rob?
20 Jul
10:07am, 20 Jul 2024
3,761 posts
  •  
Big_G
RCouture, well done on getting the treadmill runs in. How are your niggles?

7 including parkrun today for 35 miles for the week (well, 34.8….). I’m happy with that, what with it being 5 runs in a week for the first time in a long time, and I’ve a similar plan for next week. We are away next weekend, but it’ll be in the ballpark mileage-wise over the week.

Foot has been pretty good. It’s not totally cured but I’m managing it. I think I’ve been sensible/cautious so we’ll see how it progresses next week. If okay, and I also feel fine, I hope to push one (or two) of the runs out to 9/10-ish the week after.
20 Jul
10:07am, 20 Jul 2024
3,204 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - good news that your HR is back in normal range and you have been able to run.

Re IOM, I stay in the south near the airport and hire a car.

Without a car best to stay in Douglas, the race organise a bus to and from the race. Ferry goes from Liverpool or Heysham to Douglas. Or you can fly and bus from airport to Douglas.

The race venue is in Ramsey, you could stay there but Douglas is the biggest town and more options hotel/guest houses and for public transport.

Rob - hope tomorrow's race goes well.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.