Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
16 Jul
9:30am, 16 Jul 2024
194 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Great news for him.He did indeed mention us both,wonder who we can get in to 2026 😅

I decided to take today off,didn't feel like it,rain and stomach wasn't right,can still get to 55 with 5 runs this week.
17 Jul
7:31am, 17 Jul 2024
3,158 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - hope you're back training today.

5 miles for me this morning, was a cautious run but my back was OK. Have a niggle in my right heel, not sure what that is, just ignoring it for now.

Gym later.
17 Jul
7:38am, 17 Jul 2024
199 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Yes I'm off work today and the weather is amazing so I'm looking forward to my run.I was going to do a MLR today but the weather is so nice I might do my long run instead.
17 Jul
7:55am, 17 Jul 2024
4,197 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
That sounds like good conditions for long run Ian.

Shades: Sounds promising with back and run but be careful in gym!

Sadly yesterday RHR back to normal so i ran 30 minutes thinking all is well.Today RHR back up +9.So going to walk and see what happens over night!! Getting a bit fed up with it.
17 Jul
7:59am, 17 Jul 2024
3,161 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - you're obviously raring to go, enjoy that long run.

WP - I don't do anything in the gym that niggles my back!

That's not good about your RHR shooting up again, hope that's just a blip and you're back to normal tomorrow.
17 Jul
8:30am, 17 Jul 2024
3,745 posts
  •  
Big_G
6.5 miles for me today and on a hilly trail/road that is a favourite of mine.

The route takes me up a steep hill into some woods and back down to the seafront where again the bay looked stunning, and the sea like a millpond. A few paddle boarders out enjoying it too.
17 Jul
8:46am, 17 Jul 2024
3,164 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - that mileage is building nicely and you're obviously enjoying your runs too.
17 Jul
8:46am, 17 Jul 2024
3,165 posts
  •  
Shades
17 Jul
9:12am, 17 Jul 2024
200 posts
  •  
Ian5
Bit of a schoolboy mistake,got everything ready and realised my watch was only 17%. It lasts for so long I only need to charge it every week or 2 so usually only check before a long run,but wasn't planning long today.Ah well,I've just mowed the back garden while letting it charge.
17 Jul
9:15am, 17 Jul 2024
3,746 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, that’s the first time I’ve ran 3 days in a row for months. Rest day from running tomorrow, and then hopefully a Friday and Saturday run, and then rest day Sunday should mean I reach my goal this week. If that all goes well at around 35ish miles (give or take a mile or two) for the week, the plan is to do similar the week after, and if everything still fine, try and up the distance/time on one or two of the runs the week after. I feel I’m being pretty cautious but I think that’s what I need.

I don’t think I’m always mentioning Zwifting on here, but I’m doing some rides as well - for example, I did about 1hr40 yesterday afternoon.

No sessions or faster runs planned at all. Just base building as I think that is best for the foot at this stage. I do occasionally put in quite a lot of effort on the bike doing reps etc which I do enjoy, but as I’ve said I don’t really see any correlation between my steadily improving bike fitness and running fitness. I’d like to think a few hours a month at zone 2 on the bike does help somewhere though!

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.