Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
14 Jul
5:33pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,139 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - yes. A very good week's training from you.

WP - definitely a nightmare of a dream. I think you can be reassured that it won't come true 😏

I'm planning a 50 mile week next week 😬 don't think I'll find it that easy.
14 Jul
5:36pm, 14 Jul 2024
4,188 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Wowser 50 mile week that will be hard as been a while! are you going to run 8 miles a day apart from long run day?
14 Jul
5:42pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,142 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I'm hoping it won't be too hard, I've done 45 this week.

Yes, 8 miles for 5 days and a 10 miler on Sunday. No long runs for me. 😁
14 Jul
5:46pm, 14 Jul 2024
4,189 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
How are you feeling on 45 miles?

Hopefully it will feel okay especially with no long runs :)
14 Jul
6:13pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,143 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I'm OK, but my back is sore today.

I did a Caroline Girvan session yesterday not realising it was lots of plank type work. I'm particularly poor at doing planks since hurting my back.
I did what I could of the session and my back was OK but I'm paying for it today. I expect it'll take a few days to settle down so the next couple of days running might be difficult.

I won't be doing that session again 😭
14 Jul
6:32pm, 14 Jul 2024
192 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-I always do the majority of my runs after work,I generally prefer that,but with my rota this week I'll have to do a couple before.
Shades-Good luck on the 50,I'm aiming for 55ish.
8 weeks of training left,so diet is starting tomorrow,aim to lose at least 7lbs.
15 Jul
5:49am, 15 Jul 2024
3,144 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good luck with the weight loss plan. You have plenty time to drop 7 pounds.

No run for me today, back is niggling and I think I'm better taking a rest day today rather than aggravate it more. So will be a step back week for me, but that's not so bad really. Last week's 45 miles and the last time I managed that was a year ago. Hopefully I will hit the 50mpw next week.

Amazing stage at TdeF yesterday.
15 Jul
7:51am, 15 Jul 2024
3,735 posts
  •  
Big_G
Sorry to hear about your back, Shades. Your 50 mile week can wait for another week.

Went out for 7 today. Started raining at my turnaround point but other than that it was fine.
15 Jul
8:33am, 15 Jul 2024
4,191 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: That is a shame about workout causing you issues with back.As BG said that 50 mile week can wait till next week.

Nice running BG

Ian Good luck with weight loss it seems chaps can drop weight quicker than us females.

I had hoped to see another drop in RHR but it has gone up so +9 I slept badly over heating-so another no running day.
I checked race results and so annoying I would have won my age group ;) one to target for next year.
15 Jul
9:42am, 15 Jul 2024
3,147 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - as you say 50 miles can wait another week.

Heavy rain here now.

WP - sorry to hear you're still poorly.

Next year, that's a very good target for you to win your age group at that 10k.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.