Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
13 Jul
11:25am, 13 Jul 2024
3,127 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - great you've completed your planned mileage this week and the foot is OK.

WP - that doesn't sound so good that you've relapsed.

Could it be hay fever perhaps?
13 Jul
11:38am, 13 Jul 2024
4,182 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks Ian+ Big G

Shades sadly not as on allergy pill all year around for allergies and hayfever.I felt the headache yesterday but tried to ignore it as you do.
Bonus side I get to watch or nap through TDF this afternoon :)
13 Jul
12:16pm, 13 Jul 2024
3,129 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - oh well, rest up and enjoy the TdeF today.

You may be a lot better tomorrow, I guess you'll make a decision about your race then.
13 Jul
3:38pm, 13 Jul 2024
188 posts
  •  
Ian5
Decided it was time for a little speedier today,so thought I'd try 5 @MP to see how it felt Unsurprisingly felt quite tough,needed a bit of a spurt in the last half mile to get bacj to target.HR was about right for a marathon start.
Overall felt harder than I'd have liked,but I did 18 on Wednesday so can't complain really.
13 Jul
4:49pm, 13 Jul 2024
189 posts
  •  
Ian5
Not edited to say,the park route isn't the easiest either.It has about 45ft of elevation for each mile on average so a bit harder than a flat route.
14 Jul
8:36am, 14 Jul 2024
3,731 posts
  •  
Big_G
What’s your plan regarding the MP sections Ian? To try and do them weekly, or a bit more adhoc than that?
14 Jul
9:00am, 14 Jul 2024
3,132 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I think race pace in training always feels harder than we hope for.

Are you planning to go to track sessions again?

Have you given any more thought about salt tablets or alternatives, primarily looking ahead at Comrades?
I was looking at these last night, come in a handy packet

hollandandbarrett.com

I would be cautious about taking them as frequently as the directions state, these products are usually aimed at use in temperatures well over 30 degrees.

10 miles for me, not the easiest of runs but pleased with managing to get to 45 miles this week. Nice and sunny but very chilly start, 'feels like 6', had to wear my fingerless gloves.
14 Jul
9:06am, 14 Jul 2024
3,134 posts
  •  
Shades
Forgot to mention another outstanding TdeF stage yesterday. Brilliant viewing, might be tempted to watch the whole programme today rather than just the highlights.
14 Jul
9:08am, 14 Jul 2024
3,732 posts
  •  
Big_G
New York is in 16 weeks. Gulp!
14 Jul
9:29am, 14 Jul 2024
3,135 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - marathons have a habit of galloping towards us at great speed. 😱

Best write that training plan 😉 I expect you've already done that.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.