Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
11 Jul
5:46pm, 11 Jul 2024
182 posts
  •  
Ian5
I decided to take today as a rest,felt fine after yesterday but realised I'd done 64m in 6 days.
On a positive it means I can do good mileage again by the looks of it.
11 Jul
5:47pm, 11 Jul 2024
3,113 posts
  •  
Shades
Great news Ian, definitely worth a rest day.
12 Jul
7:19am, 12 Jul 2024
3,718 posts
  •  
Big_G
Great mileage, Ian. Looking good.

Shades, I know I’ve mentioned this over on RW, but there’s a new audience here :) When I did Loch Ness one time part of the goodie bag was a can of Baxter’s soup. As I didn’t think I’d be able to get it on the plane in hand luggage, my B&B kindly heated it up for me when I got back, with some bread on the side. Delicious. I think that is still the most knackered I’ve been after a marathon - I did a pretty decent time for me at the time, but I was done! Great event though. I still remember going down for breakfast on the morning of the race and a couple of Swedish (I think) guys tucking into a full fry up before the race :)

7 miles today, pretty early for me with a 5:40am start. Had a much better run compared to Monday, and enjoyed it today. All being well 7 miles tomorrow including a trot around parkrun, and I’ll reach my weekly target of 28. I could have actually carried on for another couple of miles today but I decided not to as wanted to finish on a positive as opposed to carrying on and potentially ending on a bit of a negative. But HR felt much more under control today.
12 Jul
8:04am, 12 Jul 2024
3,115 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - as you're already up to 64mpw what mileage are you planning to peak at for HCA? 75, 80😲

Big G - there's always a tin or jar of something in the Baxter's goodie bag. You're right, won't be accepted through airport security (wonder if that will change with new machines) and if you look every surface at security is full of lined up Baxter's soup. I believe they donate them to foodbanks. I always have a hold bag so could take mine home, but the year I had a jar of beetroot I left that in the hotel as wouldn't risk my clothes etc with that.

There's always soup and a snack in the tent post race too and live music.

I don't know why that race wiped you out so much unless you overcooked the first few miles downhill, that could set you up for seriously tired quads.

Good your run went well today, I went out at the same time. Didn't notice the high humidity as was a cool 10 degrees.

Nice that Fetch has fixed that threads automatically take you to first unread post now. 😀

7 miles for me too, I've done 7 miles every day for the last 5 days, as planned, I think 8 every day next week might be challenging. Not a brilliant run today but I did giggle as I saw a girl rushing to the train station wearing bright pink fluffy slippers, not sure if that was deliberate or not.
12 Jul
8:57am, 12 Jul 2024
3,720 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades wrote:Nice that Fetch has fixed that threads automatically take you to first unread post now.

Yes, indeed. There are a lot of other change requests that you can vote for. A lot of them are to do with the Fetch games, but you can vote for changes, or add new ones, and Fetch goes through the popular ones.

fetcheveryone.com/featurevoting

I wonder if I maybe didn’t take enough calories on that Loch Ness run.
12 Jul
9:05am, 12 Jul 2024
3,117 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - yes, I voted for a couple of feature changes, then I got bored and didn't go any further.

I don't do any games, badges that sort of stuff and don't record my training on Fetch either.

Re Loch Ness, certainly possible. As there's the bus ride and a long wait for the start it's easy to overlook topping up on the fuel before the start too.
12 Jul
9:43am, 12 Jul 2024
4,168 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Nice run's Shades and 7 miles a day is going in right direction.

Big G: Not tried Baxters soups but think they are £2 a tin!! when did soup get so expensive.Nice running.Loch Ness sounds a lovely race :)

RHR jumped back two places but had gardener dealing with the back of hedge and I always help him but blimey the stuff would fill 4 wheelie bins!
So I opted to run part of race route 4 miles nice pace.Fastest for that route not in a race;)
12 Jul
10:52am, 12 Jul 2024
183 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-My week goes Mon-Sun so not counted that 64 yet,will end up this week 51-58 depending on next couple of days.
I'd like to get a few 70m weeks towards the end but will see how it goes.
12 Jul
10:59am, 12 Jul 2024
3,119 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - IMHO Baxters soup are nice but not worth £2+. I make my own soup every week, winter and summer 😋

Good run from you today, bodes well for Sunday.

Ian - oh, so slight massaging of the figures then 😉, not quite a 64 mile week.

You were flying (as they say in Ireland) last time you were running 70mpw. 🙂

Quite busy in the gym, my legs felt a bit tired so kept weights light.
12 Jul
11:02am, 12 Jul 2024
184 posts
  •  
Ian5
Well it was 64 across the last 6 days before yesterday but not across a calendar week.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.