Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
12 Jul
7:10pm, 12 Jul 2024
185 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Yes I was,I was actually looking a few days ago at my 2020 training which I doubt I'll be able to repeat again,but I'm hoping to get closer the next couple of months.
7 today after work,it felt tougher but everything showed it wasn't,decent pace and HR.
13 Jul
5:33am, 13 Jul 2024
3,122 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - 2020 was a good training year for me too, but we weren't able to take advantage of that in races due to Covid. I know I could have done a good PB at DD 😭 But most importantly we survived.

Rest day for me today.
13 Jul
5:49am, 13 Jul 2024
3,728 posts
  •  
Big_G
Think 2020/21 were my best ever training years partly *because* there were no races! With no races I just cracked on with training, didn’t do too much hard stuff, and although it was frustrating not racing, I was just able to get the decent training done. Fortunately for me that base followed me into late 2021 and early 2022 when races came back and I got my PBs at all main distances during about a 6 month period. I got injured shortly after that, but we’ll gloss over that :) I do remember getting very frustrated with the low HR stuff, which I started in May 2020, and I nearly chucked the towel in a couple of times, but I’m glad I didn’t.
13 Jul
6:23am, 13 Jul 2024
3,124 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - and you can get back there again.

My improved training performance was already in place before first lockdown, unfortunately no chance to use that fitness in races. My training times declined slightly during lockdown as no gym open.
13 Jul
7:24am, 13 Jul 2024
4,176 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Where as i had a good 2018+2019 then it went downhill fast and only coming good again this year.

Sadly my RHR is +10 this morning!!
13 Jul
8:26am, 13 Jul 2024
186 posts
  •  
Ian5
2019 is my HM and full PB year,but I 100% would have lowered both of them if I could have raced in 2020.
I did manage to get a 10k and 10m PB that year though.
13 Jul
8:37am, 13 Jul 2024
3,125 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - oh no, that's not good, do you feel OK?

Ian - I don't think I would have done a marathon PB in 2020 but I would have got closer than anytime since my PB was set.
13 Jul
10:11am, 13 Jul 2024
3,730 posts
  •  
Big_G
Sorry to hear that WP.

Ian, yeah, you were flying then. But you’re doing well now too, building up nicely, you have some race plans so it’s all looking great.

I did my planned 7 miles including parkrun today, so the running week went well.

I had said that if this week went well, which it has, I’d try and do 5 runs the week after and that is still the plan. Hoping to nudge over 30 miles next week, over the 5 runs. Foot has been good but I guess if it starts feeling sore I may revert back to 4 runs but as I type this I’m feeling confident about the 5.
13 Jul
10:28am, 13 Jul 2024
4,179 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I feel under the weather sore throat ,headache sniffly nose etc.I planned to go for walk post shop but came straight back.

Big G sounds like a good week with foot.
13 Jul
11:15am, 13 Jul 2024
187 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-Thats bad news,hope it goes quickly.
Big G-Great news on the foot,hopefully not a false dawn again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.