Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
14 Jul
10:17am, 14 Jul 2024
190 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-I'm mot too sure,I'll probably start every other week and see how it is.
Shades-Yes I'm hoping to in August,my shoulder has been a bit sore the last few days,which is annoying as I thought I was good now.
I bought some salt tabs a while back,been using them before my long runs and no bad effects up to now.
14 Jul
10:25am, 14 Jul 2024
3,136 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that's good re the salt tabs. Taking one after a long run can speed up recovery too.
14 Jul
1:11pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,733 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, I’ve sketched out a plan but it does depend on the foot, so although I’ve sketched one out, it’s kind of taking it week by week as well.
14 Jul
2:39pm, 14 Jul 2024
30 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
WP hope you’re feeling better soon

Big G have you got a target set for NY or waiting for closer to the time?

Ian fingers crossed the shoulders not too bad, are you managing it with anti inflammatories?

Shades another good week of mileage, I think most of us wish we had another 3 months training before marathons.

4.5 miles yesterday afternoon a few miles along FVC route very overgrown in places and 6.5 miles this morning. Didn’t want to run too long otherwise be sleeping in my beer later!
14 Jul
3:23pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,137 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I hope your training will be close to that plan.

Rob - I've only done FVC once and it was fairly overgrown then. My so called friend, who knew the way, took us the wrong way and to get back on course we had to squeeze through a hedge. We emerged from the hedge covered in burrs which then set us all giggling and we couldn't run properly for a while until we'd recovered our composure.

I'm hoping no word from WP means she's feeling better and been racing today.

I hope tonight's match will be exciting enough to keep you awake. 😉
14 Jul
3:31pm, 14 Jul 2024
4,183 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Afternoon

Rob Hope plan works for you and you can watch the football.

Shades great week of training .

Sadly no race Rhr dropped to +8 but not enough to race and felt awful. I had stressy dreams over race and glad when race bib collection desk closed and race started!

Twelve weeks for Cardiff so need to be fit and healthy.
14 Jul
3:33pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,734 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rob, it’s too early to say really. I’d currently be quite a bit over 4hrs I reckon. If I can get some consistency and slowly up the weekly mileage I’ll know what kind of shape I’m in from HR data, weight etc. Not sure yet if I’m going to do some shorter races in the buildup either - I’ll just have to see.
14 Jul
3:35pm, 14 Jul 2024
3,138 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - sorry to hear you had to DNS, but right decision.

We've all had those race start dreams, nightmares 😱

You can relax now and rest up before resuming training. 12 weeks is a good long training period.
14 Jul
4:42pm, 14 Jul 2024
191 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-Sorry about the DNS,sounds like the right decision though.
Just a short 5m after work today,brings up just under 53 for the week so another good calendar week 😉
14 Jul
5:19pm, 14 Jul 2024
4,187 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Well done Ian on a good solid week especially as a lot of runs are post work.

Thank you -it was right choice for me as I live to run another day and Cardiff starts in earnest.

Shades the Nightmare was so really a red steel bridge about 10 foot up and similar across and down . I got stuck and people climbing over me feet kicking my head etc and this to get to bib collection desk....LOL

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.