Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
11 Jul
9:36am, 11 Jul 2024
3,106 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I think £9/10 is the going rate now for fish and chips. I will have fish and chips the night before a marathon, my favourite pre race food.

What's the veggie option on that steam train trip, just curious? I can understand not dropping the price as some will choose that option to save a couple of quid.

I'm pretty sure the last time I did Snowdonia marathon we were fed at the finish, it's some years since I've done that one. Perhaps you'll need to do some research on races and what's available at the finish, maybe start a thread and Fetchies will have loads of info.

At Frankfurt marathon I got a cup of thin soup and a giant pretzel, good post run stuff as nice and salty.
Barnstaple there was a glass of prosecco on offer and snacks, crisps, biscuits, cakes.

My training is not going well, could do with another 3 months really but I'm hopeful I'll get round. As my friend said I'm training for the half, there's a time limit at halfway, then as with most marathons it's the head that gets you round the 2nd half.

Good news your RHR is dropping quickly and you'll be OK for your race on Sunday. It's not going to be hot, is it?
11 Jul
10:02am, 11 Jul 2024
3,707 posts
  •  
Big_G
Riga marathon food was very good at the end. As was Bruges marathon when I did that one.
11 Jul
10:28am, 11 Jul 2024
3,107 posts
  •  
Shades
So nice to have something tasty to eat at the finish of a marathon. Of course, not logistically possible for some races. Nothing at Berlin but bought a very large and tasty bratwurst bap at the finish.

Just booked my airport parking for IOM. I'm out of practice of race logistics, nearly booked return for 4 a.m. instead of 4 p.m. 😕 Makes no difference to the price but I expect Silver Zone would be wondering why I wasn't collecting my car.
11 Jul
10:44am, 11 Jul 2024
4,164 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Good luck and I am sure you will get around and make the half marathon cut off!

It looks like a good 10 degrees lower than past few years around 16 degrees :)

Ah seems food for marathon's :)
11 Jul
10:50am, 11 Jul 2024
3,710 posts
  •  
Big_G
Riga’s included ice cold soup, which although may sound strange for a post marathon meal, but it was delicious and it really hit the spot on what was a warm day. Also beer and that included an alcohol free beer option, which is good for me as I don’t drink. Bruges included a proper beer and I gave my token to someone, and he was extremely happy with it!

Just done just shy of 2hrs on the bike and enjoyed it. Yesterday’s TdF was very good also.
11 Jul
10:54am, 11 Jul 2024
3,108 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I don't know about food at shorter races as I don't do many of them. At the IOM there's also a half marathon and they get the buffet too.

16 degrees is pretty good racing conditions for this time of year. That's probably what you've had for some of your early morning runs and humidity should be lower than early morning too.
11 Jul
10:58am, 11 Jul 2024
3,109 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - the alcohol free beer seems widely available at the European marathons. I don't like it, too gassy so usually skip it.

Yes, another cracking day yesterday at TdeF. Good to see Vinnegaard do a great counter attack to the finish.
11 Jul
11:02am, 11 Jul 2024
69,817 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Several of the club-run races here (and I assume something similar happens elsewhere) have a substantial post-race buffet provided by club members. In our 5k series the post-race snack is a can of lager (sports drink for juniors and non-drinkers) and a packet of crisps.

The only time I can recall a meal being provided at the end of a marathon was Beachy Head, where there was also plenty of food at checkpoints on the way round. I remember waiting for a long time for a baked potato that was tougher than the polystyrene container that it came in, and deciding that next time I'd just go straight to the pub afterwards. The same applies to the sausage butty that's part of the package with the North Lakes Half Marathon. A thoughtful touch, but not worth queueing for.
11 Jul
11:02am, 11 Jul 2024
3,711 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yeah, Erdinger alcohol free is popular at European races. But Riga’s was a Latvian beer and decent. They let me take two so I took one back to the Airbnb as well.
11 Jul
12:21pm, 11 Jul 2024
3,110 posts
  •  
Shades
LDWA have a good reputation for lots of lovely grub.

I don't do off road now but the best post event food was after a 35 mile LDWA event. Cottage pie with cheese on top followed by sponge pudding and custard, all included with a very reasonable entry fee.

Vrap - I can remember at Beachy Head having post race meal before getting in the car for long drive to North Wales.

Loch Ness do adequate post race grub too, included in entry fee. Tasty and enough to keep you going until dinner.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.