Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
9 Jul
12:30pm, 9 Jul 2024
178 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Think I'm about the same as the last few but I'd like to lose half a stone before HCA and it's possible.
9 Jul
1:35pm, 9 Jul 2024
3,088 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - well that's OK. You have plenty time to deal with that and the build up of weekly mileage will help too.
9 Jul
5:08pm, 9 Jul 2024
179 posts
  •  
Ian5
Very humid run this afternoon between thunder storms,bbc said 20° feel like 25°.
Slightly different 8m loop,all good expect some teenager decided to smirk at his mate as I got near him and stepped into my path,no option but to barge in to him or I was in the busy road,banged my shoulder up a little so hoping it doesn't put me back.Feels achy now but not damaged hopefully.
9 Jul
5:27pm, 9 Jul 2024
5,101 posts
  •  
kstuart
Yes def humid today (or in my case wet being it's rained a lot o the day some of which was inside one of the offices) as i was sweating like a pig wearing my chemical suit earlier today dealing with a minor issue
9 Jul
5:43pm, 9 Jul 2024
7 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Really great to hear everyone finding some post injury consistency again.

6 miles for me today dodging all the Wimbledon tennis folks. Rest day tomorrow as travelling to Senegal then I’ll likely be on the treadmill for a couple of weeks until I’m back as it’s too hot and busy for much outdoors. The girls are spending all summer there but I’ll be back for a couple of weeks to get back into work properly before joining them again in august.

The tdf has really been awesome so far, the gravel stage, green jersey chase, gc, all has been compelling.
9 Jul
5:52pm, 9 Jul 2024
4,153 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
It is also humid here it rained till around 3pm and pretty stifling.

PT session this morning but with feeling off colour thought my strength would suffer seems not :)
As I entered a new age category I had to run just 2.5 miles even if RHR +12.
i am hoping it starts to drop and I can get back out there.I find it strange and talking to PT about it if we dont have a cutback week we feel mentally jaded .In my case I think oh no not that route or distance-your body saying lets have a wee break or maybe it is just G and myself ;)
9 Jul
5:55pm, 9 Jul 2024
4,154 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
it must be 7 weeks since last cutback and I went from Half marathon training three weeks recovery and straight back to it.I think I should have focussed on something else maybe 10k's for 6 weeks then back to half marathon.
10 Jul
8:08am, 10 Jul 2024
3,090 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - hope that lout suffered more than you from that incident.

Keith - not the weather for wearing a chemical suit.

Spoke to my friend last night but I forgot to ask her what the cheese race is like, and how much cheese you get 😉

Rcouture - hope you enjoy your holiday.

I agree re TdeF, I used to wait until the following day to watch the highlights. But this year I can hardly wait until 7pm each day to watch them.

WP - Belated birthday wishes for yesterday. +12 RHR, that's a lot, not sure I'd risk a run if my RHR was that high.

3 weeks recovery from a half marathon is plenty. But it's good to have a cut back week every 4 or 5 weeks or whenever you fee it's needed. I think probably as you're trying to lose weight and on a low daily calorie allowance is probably contributing to your feeling that you need to ease up on your training. It's hard to get the balance right.

7 miles today, less humid, down to low 90's but a nice fresh breeze so no sweat fest today. Legs a bit tired from the gym so run didn't feel any easier though.
10 Jul
8:53am, 10 Jul 2024
28 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Shades I feel the kilomarathon is quite a novelty distance, however could be a good distance for a prep race for a marathon. ATW tried to advertise the distance once but no takers so dropped it.

WP congrats on the new age category means new PBs 😀

Rcouture if you get bored of the sun, feel free to sent it our way! Hope you have a good trip.

Keith I see many of your races evolve round food and drink. If you could choose one food type for a race what would it be?

Ian hope no ill effects after the barge, I don’t mind a few verbals from idiots but when they try to stop running it’s unacceptable.

Big G hopefully building a base of running will help and can built on that, my fitness is trash at the moment but getting it back slowly.

Weather and cba meant I haven’t ran until this morning, 6 miles along the river was fresh. Tried a pair of NB860 which I bought about two years ago but been under the bed.
10 Jul
9:07am, 10 Jul 2024
3,699 posts
  •  
Big_G
WP, hopefully your RHR comes back down soon!

Ian, that’s not good. I hope your shoulder hasn’t been impacted.

Vrap, thanks. I have had big jumps in fitness before, seemingly from nowhere. IE, going along doing my thing in training, and then suddenly, in one week everything clicks and I am running faster as the same HR. Hoping that happens to me again, soon!

Shades, another nice run from you.

Rcouture, I’ve also been enjoying TdF. I think Evenepoel’s remark that Vingegaard ‘doesn’t have the balls’ to race was amusing, but inaccurate. Vingegaard knows he is relatively poor on gravel (he’s so light!) and is biding his time. If he is riding himself back into fitness, it could all kick off spectacularly in the high mountains. It’s not over. Also, I think Evenepoel‘s remark basically shows he’s looking to podium, whereas Vingegaard is looking to win. If he had gone with Pogacar and Evenepoel on that gravel stage, he knows he could have lost time to them, so he just shut it down. Sensible riding in the heat of the moment.

7 miles again today, same route as Monday. Nothing much to report really, but again nice to be out.

For info, Fetch has implemented an automatic save feature, notes below. I tested it yesterday and it works across devices like RW used to - ie, type on laptop, and the draft will be there on the phone too.

“The site will now automatically backup your post as you type it (so at most you'll lose about 15 seconds of typing). You can navigate to anywhere else, even leave the site - but when you come back to that thread, your post will be there (although I reserve the right to squish any backups that have not been claimed after a certain time period)”.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.