Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
8 Jul
8:22am, 8 Jul 2024
4,147 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I wish I could say the same but RHR jumped up so although up at 5am back to bed by 5.30am sore throat has joined the party.Especially as I planned to bus to end of long run and then planned to run back .
8 Jul
9:05am, 8 Jul 2024
3,071 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - sorry to hear it seems to have developed into something a bit worse. Hope you recover quickly. There seems to be quite a few Covid cases around again, hope it's not that.

Big G - it's good to see you back to regular training.
8 Jul
12:35pm, 8 Jul 2024
3,689 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, hoping for around 28 miles this week, over 4 runs. And probably 2 or 3 Zwift rides. Today’s was a route I’ve done possibly hundreds of times, but strava tells me I’ve not done it since February, which will be due to the foot!

Wednesday, Friday and Saturday planned for this week and then I’ll reassess and consider the plan for 5 runs next week, all being well!
8 Jul
2:45pm, 8 Jul 2024
3,074 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - hope you can do your planned mileage this week without any real discomfort.

I see Keep Running Rural ( what was previously White Star) are packing up. They say number of race entries falling. Seems strange when other races are filling so well, but it may be there's a lot of trail events now, perhaps too many, I don't know.
8 Jul
6:23pm, 8 Jul 2024
173 posts
  •  
Ian5
I thought White Star went bust a couple of years ago.
There does seem to be a lot of trail companies down south,whereas there aren't really many up North I can think of.
8 today after work,really warm day before the rain comes tomorrow.
8 Jul
6:32pm, 8 Jul 2024
3,076 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - yes White Star did go bust. But the races were taken over by someone who I think worked or helped out at White Star. The new company hasn't gone bust they're just shutting up shop and are refunding all entry fees.
8 Jul
6:44pm, 8 Jul 2024
3,691 posts
  •  
Big_G
I never did a White Star event although I think they were well regarded. Not really my cuppa tea though, in terms of the types of events they did. Although, didn’t they do a road marathon in Dorset for a year or two? Or am I thinking of a different company? Either way, I missed that event when it occurred.
8 Jul
7:27pm, 8 Jul 2024
3,077 posts
  •  
Shades
Yes, I ran the Dorchester marathon in 2017, which was a road event. Nice race but they didn't put on any road events after that one. I ran it the week before my PB at DD.

I think it was Cal that wanted to do the Giant's Head marathon which was always oversubscribed. She won't get the chance now unless someone else takes over that event.
9 Jul
7:51am, 9 Jul 2024
3,079 posts
  •  
Shades
Another sweat fest this morning 99% humidity and 16 degrees at 5 a.m. 🥵 I had a slightly better run than yesterday but struggled to keep my HR down in that humidity. I nearly ran on that road with the reports of the vicious seagulls and remembered just in time and went a different way. 7 miles done.

Gym later
9 Jul
8:01am, 9 Jul 2024
174 posts
  •  
Ian5
Day off today,pretty rough weather now so will wait until later to run.
Shades-Forgot to say,I did consider IOM,but we are away in the lakes for a few days and coming back Sat or Sun so wouldn't have time.I could do the Preston race on the way home though.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.