Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
17 Jul
11:26am, 17 Jul 2024
3,168 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - you may not have felt like mowing the lawn after your run, so you'll be glad you did it.πŸ˜‰

Big G - I think you're right, running wise all base building for now will be the most beneficial.
17 Jul
1:01pm, 17 Jul 2024
201 posts
  •  
Ian5
19.7 done,couldn't be bothered doing a loop to make it 20.Felt pretty solid until about 15 and HR increased a bit,but it was warming up then plus getting tired so to be expected.
17 Jul
2:39pm, 17 Jul 2024
3,749 posts
  •  
Big_G
Let’s call it 20, Ian, what with 0.3 up and down the garden mowing the lawn :) Great run there.
18 Jul
8:17am, 18 Jul 2024
3,176 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that's a great long run. Cardiac drift expected when you're well into double digit.

Big G - I have visions of Ian now wearing his Garmin walking up and down the stripes on his lawn to measure the distance 🀣

8 miles this morning, nice morning, bit warmer but OK. Had a better run today despite back niggling a little in the last mile.

Saw my collie friend Digger who stopped me and sat on my feet demanding attention.
18 Jul
5:03pm, 18 Jul 2024
202 posts
  •  
Ian5
Went for 7 after work,it felt really tough 9n the legs after yesterday,couldn't get the HR up at all as had no life in them.Happy to box another 1 off though as it's easy to miss those runs sometimes.
18 Jul
5:30pm, 18 Jul 2024
3,181 posts
  •  
Shades
That's good Ian. I can't get my HR up either after a long run or race or even a killer session at the gym.

You should be back to normal tomorrow.

I'm not doing any killer sessions at the gym right now. Just light stuff as trying to focus on the marathon that's galloping towards me.
18 Jul
6:15pm, 18 Jul 2024
203 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-How are you feeling about IOM? Nearly taper time πŸ˜‰
18 Jul
6:44pm, 18 Jul 2024
3,186 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I'm looking forward to the IOM. I know it's going to be a very tough day for me. I'm expecting that it will be my legs that get me round the first half and my head will get me round the 2nd half.

There will be no taper for me except I'll do one less run in the week before.

I could transfer my entry to the half but I've no intention of doing that.
18 Jul
6:53pm, 18 Jul 2024
4,201 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
IoM half marathon one for the list😁
18 Jul
6:58pm, 18 Jul 2024
3,187 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - there's a buffet for the runners after the race πŸ˜‹

How are you today?

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.