Shades Marathon Training

4 lurkers | 30 watchers
21 Jul
6:16pm, 21 Jul 2024
32 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Ale house if I was a Newport race director I’d sent an email to everyone to pay an extra £3, got value for money 😝. Fair play they have tried to correct things as best as they can, as shades said the issue is the short courses.

Ian great mileage and nicely building back up, after your knock/ scare the other week things are looking good.

Rcouture well done on the 18, the mp miles will come, still early days.

Well done WP always horrible returning from a warm run and it’s hotter indoors
21 Jul
6:56pm, 21 Jul 2024
3,221 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - well, how did today go?
21 Jul
7:29pm, 21 Jul 2024
33 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
FVC

With only 350 miles since October my last marathon this one was going to be a struggle.

Was my 7th running of the event, and 45th marathon, my a target was 5:30 to match last years time, 5:45 and then sub 6 to beat my slowest (2021).

Due to car issues had to find alternative transport, bus replacement meant too much faffing so paid £21 for an Uber which wasn’t too bad as all morning the fares were between £21-£40 on various apps but I wasn’t in any rush.

Arrived kinda on time, first wave set of 8:15, I went in the 2nd wave at 8:30. The first 6 miles took a different route, seemed nice enough other than a cornfield which went on for about a mile and the corn was towering over my head and had to walk.

Arrived at first cp topped up water as was pretty humid and made my way closer to home.

Ran past my sisters neighbours, one of them is chasing their 300th the other is closing in on 200th, had a trot with them for a bit helped with navigation before arriving at CP2.

My home turf less than 2 miles from home, had an ice pop, seemed a good idea but sticky hands weren’t great, 11 miles in and the closest point to home, I took a tumble, somehow landing on my shin!, thankfully no one saw! Wa able to trust myself down and carry my n just feeling a bit battered and bruised.

Made to half way cp just over 2hr 30. Bit was starting to tire, walked most the 1st mile out the cp and did some shuffling. Walked up the hill to the cp at 17.5 miles.

Had to take the weight off my legs for a bit (a bit too much weight) combination of a lot of weight, battered but comfy trail shoes and lack training and flopped to the floor. Legs were really tiring but knew there was a pub about 19 miles and the cricket club at 20 miles and thought about breaking my duck of having a beer during a race but as I got to the establishments my legs felt okay so carried on and onto the final cp.

Refilled the bottles and made my way, again walking out before trying a run, saw a number of runners take wrong turns so spent the next few miles shouting at people to get their attention. I was running okay at times and walking poorly at others and just a case of getting back in, outside chance of sub 5:45 but certainly under 6 hours.

Finished in 5:48ish and stayed a while to see some others in and recover before making my way back to the train station to get home.

Fairly happy given the amount of running and yesterday wasn’t the best prep and hadn’t fully decided if running until I woke this morning.

26 miles for the week, my biggest mileage week since October 😉
21 Jul
7:41pm, 21 Jul 2024
3,224 posts
  •  
Shades
Well done Rob, cracking report. You did well not to DNF under the circumstances. You should be very pleased with your race today.
21 Jul
7:56pm, 21 Jul 2024
4,223 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Wow Rob brilliant race report and after all the drama you finished the race not a DNS or DNF well done.!!

I did Newport but the half and a cracking race and the route really is a good one no complaints at all.

So nobody want's to borrow my ice pod :)
22 Jul
7:43am, 22 Jul 2024
3,226 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - next race I have for you is Stevenage. Have you planned anything before then?

WP - how are you today? Looking forward to the ice pod arriving?

A change in my training from today. I don't think I'm going to manage a 50 mile week before IOM now so I'll have to be satisfied with the 45 miles a couple of weeks ago as my peak mileage. So next three weeks are switching to strength work, hillier runs and harder runs and more gym work. IOM isn't hilly but it has a fair amount of gentle downhill which I want to be able to take advantage of. My sciatica has made me cautious on downhills and I need to get that confidence back to run downhill freely. So 5 hilly miles today, very humid, a real sweat fest.
22 Jul
8:55am, 22 Jul 2024
3,771 posts
  •  
Big_G
Well done Rob. As WP said, you did well not to DNS or DNF!

Very sweaty out there for me today as well Shades. 7 miles for me, pretty flat, to start the week.
22 Jul
9:07am, 22 Jul 2024
4,225 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: I am fine RHR is still +7 but I am able to run and increase it to around 42 minutes which is a positive.Hopefully this means I can build up slowly with no reaction.
Really looking forward to pod arriving hopefully today setting it up so good to go for Wednesday.

That sounds pretty sensible as the goal is to be able to run IOM and not affect Sciatica and finish with a smile on your face.
How did the 5 miles feel?
That sounds like us yesterday today is a lot cooler and less humidity.
22 Jul
9:10am, 22 Jul 2024
208 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rob-Great report,well done on grinding it out.
Shades/Big G-Not sure if you heard about a cyclist killed last week in Ashburton? Sadly he was one of my daughters friends.
8 to start the week this morning,not my favourite time to run but needs must this week.
Still deciding whether to enter the 5m on Weds evening or not,don't think I'll go great but it would be a good blast for the legs.
22 Jul
9:17am, 22 Jul 2024
3,230 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - good start to your week.

WP - hope that RHR drops soon, +7 isn't negligible.

5 miles felt hard, quads a little sore afterwards.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.