Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
5 Sep
9:13am, 5 Sep 2024
4,447 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Cal: Great to hear the Red Kites are all over the country.

Shades: You did well to avoid the rain.Happy new shoe day.

Ian: I hope the results can give you some answers.But decent running anyway.

We were due heavy rain at 9am and for most of the day.I got rained on but not for long maybe 5 minutes and it cleared up.
I slept well last night and no hip pain in bed(i turned matress) but Achilles still a pain but by 2.5 miles was down to a whisper , pain moved to top end of quad from hip.So more massage gun work on it. Ran 3.5 miles so happy with that.
5 Sep
9:14am, 5 Sep 2024
3,954 posts
  •  
Big_G
I haven’t done a proper test in quite some time. Today was too blustery to do it justice really. But I know from certain stats on flat miles I do on regular routes of mine that there is progress. I know when at my fittest I did them all under 9s for a 5 mile test, and currently it’d still be up around 9:45-10ish in good conditions I think, so a long, long way to go. But that’s okay, there is progress, and I’m enjoying it.
5 Sep
9:21am, 5 Sep 2024
3,861 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - hoping shoes arrive today, which means first run will be in heavy rain tomorrow morning but I'll avoid the woods so at least they'll only be wet and not muddy.

Good you slept well and achilles less troublesome.

Big G - no point doing a MAF test with a stiff sea breeze spoiling the stats. A MAF test might give you a better indication of marathon time for NYC than a 5k race.

I saw Chair in the gym on Tuesday, he's managing to avoid the 100 club AGM marathon by going on his hols 😂
5 Sep
10:30am, 5 Sep 2024
First-time poster!!
  •  
1SteveMac
Hi All - Finally found my way over here after not posting for what feels like forever! Thanks for the message Big G!

From where I left off at RW forum. I did Shakespeare HM in April in 1:24 low, so only 30-40 seconds off my PB. Then I did Windermere marathon in May in 3:45 which I found really tough, it was super warm on the day. Then I did Cannock 50 miler, but bailed at the 50km point, it was a 10 mile loop and after 3 loops I wasn't sure if I'd make 5 loops, but new I could do 4, but rather than risk a DNF, decided to take a medal after 3 laps, but got 50km done in 5:44.

Just been ticking over since then and logged a few 50 mile weeks, not feeling very ready, but got a 10km next weekend!

Hoping everyone is keeping well and running well.
5 Sep
10:34am, 5 Sep 2024
3,862 posts
  •  
Shades
Welcome Steve to our new forum home. Glad you finally found us.🙂

All much the same on here, just note there is no edit facility.

Well done at your ultra 50km.

Good luck for your 10k next week.
5 Sep
10:57am, 5 Sep 2024
2 posts
  •  
1SteveMac
Thanks Shades - What's your next race?

I'm not sure what to expect for the 10k, but will probably aim for 38:30 I think. The wife has been running 4 times a week (instead of usual 3 times) and is hoping to break 60 minutes (I think she will!) for the first time.

Ultra I was pleased with at the time as it was very hilly, but looking back if it wasn't loops and I didn't have an easy part way finish, I would have carried on, so I do plan to go back at some point to claim a 50 mile finish!!
5 Sep
11:35am, 5 Sep 2024
3,864 posts
  •  
Shades
Steve - I have an entry to Barnstaple marathon at the end of the month but I've not managed to get back to comfortable training since Covid, which I had about 4 weeks ago. I feel fine but when I go to run my legs feel heavy and tired. It is improving, but slowly.

But I did bag an entry for Dublin when they put refunded entries up for grabs. So realistically will most likely be my next marathon. I have a running friend who will be running her 1,000th marathon at Dublin, the first woman in UK/Ireland to do so. That's the end of October.

Laps can play the devil with the mind. It's so hard to convince yourself to carry on when you don't have to. All my best ultra races have not been multi lap.

I'm sure your OH will crack the 60 minutes this time. One extra training run a week can make a great deal of difference.
5 Sep
1:06pm, 5 Sep 2024
3,955 posts
  •  
Big_G
Good to see you over Steve. Yes, laps can be good and bad. When running well I really like to have a time in mind per lap, and I find it helps me sometimes. But if things aren’t going quite so well, they can be a pain. At one lapped marathon I nearly stepped off the course as I was bored out of my head and it was partly rough terrain (not my favourite), but I forced myself to carry on as I wasn’t ill/injured and I didn’t want it to potentially become ‘a thing’ on future lapped marathons. Sounds like you’re running well or you’re hoping for a comfortable sub-40 10K.

Shades, I’ve done a few lapped events where I had half an idea to carry on for an ultra, but stepped off the course at the marathon point anyway. I think I would need to commit fully to the ultra distance at the start otherwise it doesn’t happen.
5 Sep
1:41pm, 5 Sep 2024
3,867 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - ditto, I've also done quite a few events where I'd hoped to carry on to complete an ultra but on the day couldn't wait to stop at marathon point.

At the moment my immediate goal is to complete marathons again. Hopefully once I'm back on track with the marathons I want very much to go on to complete 100 ultra events. I have about 25 to go so not unachievable. Unfortunately due to lack of road events I'll probably have to settle for a few multi lap events .😲

New shoes have arrived. They arrived just as I'd cooked lunch. Not sure I can persuade myself to do an afternoon gym session so probably will reschedule gym for tomorrow and Sunday instead of today and Saturday.

I have also niggled my back moving the bed around as I was putting new fabric on the headboard.
5 Sep
4:06pm, 5 Sep 2024
3 posts
  •  
1SteveMac
Shades - 100 ultra events is a great goal, but the 1,000th marathon just seems crazy!!

I've pencilled in Great Welsh for next year, just wondering what the course is like. Profile seems flat, which is good!

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.