Shades Marathon Training

6 lurkers | 30 watchers
5 Sep
4:52pm, 5 Sep 2024
3,869 posts
  •  
Shades
Steve - Great Welsh is flat. However, as very close to the coast it can be subject to the breeze coming off the sea at times. In good conditions a fast course. Course is predominantly good tarmac cycle paths, twists and turns a bit but that's not a bad thing if it's breezy.
5 Sep
5:30pm, 5 Sep 2024
4,449 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Sorry to hear about back Shades. Good news on shoes

When I go away next month I will be running the course of the Great Welsh.Itcan be very bleak if the winds are strong coming g off the sea.
5 Sep
5:50pm, 5 Sep 2024
3,870 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - my back has stopped niggling now, thankfully.

Are you going to do the half at the Great Welsh next year?

I'd like to do the marathon there again, although I'm a bit hesitant as the race is in March now which can be too cold for me 🥶
5 Sep
5:55pm, 5 Sep 2024
4,450 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
No as it is March and weather can be unpredictable. I have Newport in April.

Glad back has settled down again.
5 Sep
6:47pm, 5 Sep 2024
3,872 posts
  •  
Shades
Yes, I agree, weather in March can be lovely or pretty awful.
6 Sep
7:51am, 6 Sep 2024
3,874 posts
  •  
Shades
5+ miles in my new shoes, Ghost Max. Very comfy shoes, could wear them all day, good cushioning and I particularly like that when I ran on the stony path I can't feel the stones, similar to Hokas in that way.

Despite all the rain yesterday, no puddles or mud to avoid, just misty and humid.
6 Sep
10:11am, 6 Sep 2024
3,961 posts
  •  
Big_G
Glad you like the shoes, Shades.

I went out in my favourite shoes today - Adidas Prime X Strung. I’ve been using them for short, recovery type runs, but they’re really quick, so I’m not surprised they’re banned for elites! On a whim I decided to do a MAF test after the chat yesterday as there was no wind, and the results were good, but there’s a definite asterisk against it due to the shoes! I’ll need to see if I can redo it with normal shoes at some point.

Talking of whims, just booked a couple of nights in Cornwall in the van, and leaving shortly. We’d planned to do stuff at Dad’s but feel we need a break and if we’re away we can’t be tempted to pop over!
6 Sep
10:55am, 6 Sep 2024
4,452 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: Sounds like a good test of the new shoes and good news you like them.

Big G have lovely weekend away.

Talking shoes back in V9 Adidas Boston for just over 4 miles this morning in torrential rain and thunder! Achilles felt better(not sure if shoe related or not) but still have hip/quad ache.
6 Sep
11:39am, 6 Sep 2024
3,876 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - that's good news on the MAF test and it can't be all attributed to the shoes. I'm sure when you're ready to race in your carbon plated shoes you'll replicate those good results in your races.

(I run faster in my Novablasts than any other of my shoes, and they're legal and not plated.)

WP - good the achilles is settling down now. Hope the hip/quad does too.
6 Sep
1:36pm, 6 Sep 2024
3,962 posts
  •  
Big_G
Not sure Shades. It’s up there in the ‘very good’ category but I know I’m not in that shape from parkrun efforts and other stats.

I meant to say but as you’re the thread owner on here, I think you can edit the ‘about this thread’ section. I was wondering whether that would be easier to keep the marathon race list updated/viewable rather than uploading a pic, and it would then have the benefit of always being available. Or if you’re happy with the pics, no problem :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.