RW Mature Runners

1 lurker | 12 watchers
26 Aug
3:34pm, 26 Aug 2024
15,783 posts
  •  
hillstrider
That was Jane and Mike in the photo with me, and Andy took it.
27 Aug
1:54pm, 27 Aug 2024
15,788 posts
  •  
hillstrider
No Farmers Walk this morning as I had to drive somewhere first, and in the supermarket on the way back.
28 Aug
12:22pm, 28 Aug 2024
2,728 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Just attempting to catch up after a few days away from Fetch (grand-daughters staying, so been kept busy).

Hillstrider - I'm seriously thinking of taking my 'spare' hearing aids with me on Sunday to help my Mum hear better when I and my two sons are there. It must have been nice to run on the beach for a change but as you say, can be hard work if the sand isn't firm.

I did something a bit different yesterday - we took the grand-daughters to Go Ape in the Forest Of Dean and before they went on the treetop adventure, I joined them doing a 'Segway' ride through the forest. I think we did 4-5mls and it was good fun. Margaret hasn't forwarded me the photos she took but if she caught me on the Segway, I'll try and post if on here.

I'm hoping to get back to my early walks next week, now my feet seem to be back to normal and once my son's visit has finished (I should be getting back home on Monday afternoon).
29 Aug
3:36pm, 29 Aug 2024
15,793 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, that sounds like a good idea, taking your spare hearing aids to help your mum to hear better.

It definitely made a nice change, running on the beach.

That sounded like a very nice day with your grand-daughters at the Go Ape in the Forest of Dean.

It's good to hear that you are hoping to start early morning walks again next week, now that your feet seem to be back to normal.

Yesterday was an interval session with the Wednesday Group, comprising 5x30 seconds, 5 x 45 seconds and 5x 60 seconds with jog back recoveries. This morning was a short recovery run of 2.33 miles on roads.
29 Aug
4:01pm, 29 Aug 2024
224 posts
  •  
OO61
Wow Wtnmel very braze.i took my family a few years ago but just watched from the side...
30 Aug
1:53pm, 30 Aug 2024
15,799 posts
  •  
hillstrider
The usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning.

Tomorrow, we are doing the Moors Valley parkrun for the first time. They usually have over 500 runners, so should be very competitive.
1 Sep
11:32am, 1 Sep 2024
28 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel looking forward to seeing those Segway photos. I'm glad to say my new shoes were delivered a couple of days ago. I don't need them just yet, but have tried them on to make sure they fit okay (which they did) although there was no reason why they wouldn't as they were the exactly the same model and version as my current ones. Hope you find your mum well when you visit her today. That sounds like a bargain price for PI. They must be desperate for bookings as I keep getting emails from them about special offers.

HS How did the Moors Valley parkrun go, any photos? Will you be including the Ashlett Creek route in your regular runs, it must have make a nice change from the forest?

0061 In the end I decided to do Blyth on Tuesday night, but probably should have given it a miss as it was my slowest there by a long way. Not sure what was wrong, just no energy.

As I've struggled with the last two 10ks I've attempted I've decided to follow a 10k Garmin training plan. I've done them before and found they've helped, the only difficulty is fitting them in around other events (and life in general). Yesterday Steve wanted to try the parkrun distance as part of his couch to 5k plan (he hasn't done one for about 6 months) and I was supposed to do a Garmin easy run for 3 miles, so we did parkrun together, me jogging with him for the first 2 miles, then I picked up the pace for the last mile. Having just started this Garmin plan it's going to go to pot this week as we have our grandsons Monday to Wednesday (their school doesn't go back until Thursday) so unless we can juggle commitments running may have to take a back seat. Hey ho.
1 Sep
1:48pm, 1 Sep 2024
15,811 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, the Moors Valley parkrun went really well, see below. There is one photo which I have posted on the 1000 miles in 2024 thread. I'll try to post it again on here.

The Ashlett Creek won't be a regular run, especially with winter on the way.

That's good that you did a parkrun with Steve, his first for about 6 months.

I hope that you have a nice time next week with your grandsons. That will be a good excuse for a few running rest days, which will help the healing of aches and pains. 😁

I ran the Moors Valley parkrun yesterday with the Sarah's and Mike. There were 650 runners and I came 304th, 1stAG 75-80 out of 5. Official time 29.08, but 28.59 on Strava.

This morning was a solo, hilly 4.10 miles on roads.
1 Sep
9:38pm, 1 Sep 2024
233 posts
  •  
OO61
Great photo hillstrider and congrats on the parkrun. We did Victoria Dock in Lobdon which was a bit disappointing as it was their B route- 3 laps on a crowded pathway.
Hope you get back to it this week Wtnmel and enjoyed your son's visit.
Sorry you had a rough time at Blyth Aquarius. It was a bit breezy and I also posted my slowest time. I guess it's what we can expect with age.
My daughter's birthday tomorrow so we are off to Brighton for the day. Then back home Wednesday for Great North Run at the weekend.
2 Sep
4:12pm, 2 Sep 2024
29 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 London and Brighton in the same week, you certainly get around don't you. Pity about Victoria Dock parkrun, 3 laps on a crowded pathway doesn't sound very enjoyable. Is it the first time you've done this one?

Yes, it was a bit breezy at Blyth, but can't really blame the weather for my slow run. I hope I'm just unfit, I'd hate to think this pace is the best I can hope for now.

I hope you had a good time in Brighton today, and your daughter enjoyed her birthday. I hear the Red Arrows aren't going to be at the GNR this year, which will be a shame. Our eldest son will be doing it, although having just returned from a three week holiday he'll probably struggle.

Managed to get out for an early morning run today before the grandsons were dropped off at 08.30. It was the next session on the Garmin training plan: - run a mile, run 2 miles at race pace, run a mile. Didn't get near target race pace. Never mind, it's early days.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..