RW Mature Runners

12 watchers
20 Aug
11:19am, 20 Aug 2024
15,739 posts
  •  
hillstrider
It sounds like you have had a very interesting and constructive 3 days in London 0061.

Thanks, it's sunny at present and I've done the usual Tuesday Farmers Walk.
21 Aug
7:56am, 21 Aug 2024
23 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel Just seen that Brooks have an online sale on, up to 65% off, also you have 90 days to wear them and return if you’re not happy with them.
21 Aug
12:21pm, 21 Aug 2024
24 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel - ignore my last post, it's a scam. Caught me out, just got off the phone to my credit card company.
21 Aug
2:32pm, 21 Aug 2024
15,749 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, it sounds like you had a very lucky escape from the scammers. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

This morning was a very hilly 5.52 miles forest run with the Wednesday Group, including 6 hill reps up "The Tyrol."
21 Aug
3:11pm, 21 Aug 2024
25 posts
  •  
Aquarius
HS I'm usually very careful about online purchases, but I've ordered shoes from Brooks Running in the past, and this looked exactly like their website, so I wasn't concerned and ordered some shoes. It was only when the transaction showed on my credit card account under a strange name that I became suspicious. I googled the name and found this "company" had set up various sites, all selling different things, and lots of people had been scammed. Luckily my cc provider have agreed to refund the money to me.
21 Aug
3:13pm, 21 Aug 2024
26 posts
  •  
Aquarius
Meant to say I'll post again later (a running related post this time).
21 Aug
4:42pm, 21 Aug 2024
2,721 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - well done re the recent 9.6ml run in the woods with the Sarah's and glad you had ideal conditions. And well done also re the farmer's walk and the later 5.5ml run with the Wednesday group.

OO61 - well, I've been to the Tate Modern, but never even knew about the Post Office museum. The running shop I use has a treadmill so I should be able to try the new shoes out on that. That will of course be in addition to doing the usual walk around the shop looking thoughtful and considering how my feet feel like I do when I'm buying 'normal' shoes :)

Aquarius - was about to say I couldn't remember if it was the Brooks I found a bit tight on my toes, but I've just seen the 65% off was a scam and that you've been able to get in touch with your credit card company to sort things out.

I saw I'd had a call earlier on from the running shop - presumably to let me know the Saucony shoes have arrived. However, when I rang back to check, there was no-one available to take my call. I'm hoping they'll try phoning me again a bit later on to confirm then I can pop into town tomorrow morning.

I've managed to do my exercise routine three days running (first time for a long time) - but I'm holding off restarting my early-morning walks until I get these new shoes.
21 Aug
4:50pm, 21 Aug 2024
189 posts
  •  
OO61
Dreadful, the best of us get caught out occasionally they are so determined and ingenious. Lucky you have a good card company Aquarius
22 Aug
2:17pm, 22 Aug 2024
15,760 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, thanks, the training has been going well.

Have you heard from the running shop yet advising that your Saucony shoes had arrived?

Well done for getting back into your exercise routine again. I hope the new Saucony trainers will be "up to the job!"

This morning was a solo 4 miles road run at recovery pace. It was very windy and overcast, but the rain held off.
22 Aug
6:03pm, 22 Aug 2024
2,723 posts
  •  
WtnMel
I phoned the running shop this morning and they confirmed my shoes had arrived. Popped into town after lunch and tried them on - they fitted perfectly (like Saucony Guide shoes always seem to) and the 'rocker' motion helping the foot roll forwards was evident straight away while walking around the shop. Needless to say I purchased them (along with some new socks) and will try an early-morning walk soon. But this weekend and next week are busy as we have our granddaughters staying and then my son is down from Leeds. So that may not happen until the week after. I'll try and post some photos showing the new shoes with a side view of the new 'roller' shape of the soles ..

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..