Politics

3 lurkers | 215 watchers
17 Sep
1:29pm, 17 Sep 2024
6,468 posts
  •  
paulcook
Once you accept one gift, you're very much in their pockets, whether you like it or not.
3M
17 Sep
1:37pm, 17 Sep 2024
24,782 posts
  •  
3M
Exactly @Fields Not limited to public servants either - it applies in the private sector too, as per @TROSaracen's post.
I still work for a large insurance company, well away from any position of authority or influence, but if I were found to have taken any gifts without first clearing it with the relevant Ethics board I'd be out on my ear. There's an exception for desk diaries, pens etc, up to the value of about £5.....

(Most suits cost a bit more than that!)
17 Sep
1:39pm, 17 Sep 2024
11,667 posts
  •  
Fields
Starmer’s as a couple must have millions in assets between them. They can afford to buy their clothes

It’s a bit like Blair having all those free holidays off dodgy folks.
17 Sep
1:41pm, 17 Sep 2024
6,470 posts
  •  
paulcook
3M wrote:There's an exception for desk diaries, pens etc, up to the value of about £5..... (Most suits cost a bit more than that!)

NHS I think is basically a box of chocolates to say thank you for treating me!
17 Sep
1:56pm, 17 Sep 2024
4,519 posts
  •  
Cheg
Captain obvious. Huw Edwards won't be working at the BBC again. Or anywhere else I would imagine.

bbc.co.uk
17 Sep
2:14pm, 17 Sep 2024
19,153 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
paulcook wrote:Once you accept one gift, you're very much in their pockets, whether you like it or not.

Someone much earlier in the thread raised the Lois Griffin (Family Guy) style of political campaigning, well this comment is very much the Lois Griffin style of mayoring!

Very, very disappointing behaviour, and opens easy attack lines for the Tories, The Mail, GBNews and their bleaterati. "Two Tier Keir" could become "One Term Keir" if this is the expected standards from them.
17 Sep
2:23pm, 17 Sep 2024
218 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
3M wrote:Exactly @Fields Not limited to public servants either - it applies in the private sector too, as per @TROSaracen's post. I still work for a large insurance company, well away from any position of authority or influence, but if I were found to have taken any gifts without first clearing it with the relevant Ethics board I'd be out on my ear. There's an exception for desk diaries, pens etc, up to the value of about £5..... (Most suits cost a bit more than that!)

Same here. I can't even take a seat at an industry dinner from a client without having to clear it. If I forget, disciplinary ensues including and up to sacking.
17 Sep
2:29pm, 17 Sep 2024
29,297 posts
  •  
richmac
100% Starmer looks to have gone full Boris & quite rightly me & the electorate don't like it.

It's F'ing annoying, such a stupid hole to fall into.
17 Sep
2:36pm, 17 Sep 2024
6,471 posts
  •  
paulcook
JamieKai *chameleon* wrote:paulcook wrote:Once you accept one gift, you're very much in their pockets, whether you like it or not. Someone much earlier in the thread raised the Lois Griffin (Family Guy) style of political campaigning, well this comment is very much the Lois Griffin style of mayoring! Very, very disappointing behaviour, and opens easy attack lines for the Tories, The Mail, GBNews and their bleaterati. "Two Tier Keir" could become "One Term Keir" if this is the expected standards from them.

I actually think that was also me!!! On this occasion, I was probably more culturally thinking of some gangster Hollywood movie. But also taking some precedence from a podcast I once listened to about young tennis players getting caught up in bungs from betting syndicates, as well as Johnson and his bunga bunga parties. I'm certainly not comparing Starmer to Johnson, but the latter was utterly compromised. The easiest option is simply not let yourself go down that route.
SPR
17 Sep
2:57pm, 17 Sep 2024
46,154 posts
  •  
SPR
There was BBC article over the weekend which said that this is essentially standard across the world so not really surprising that Starmer is digging his heels in on it.

All over the world the rich and powerful get stuff for 'free'. Of course it's not for free as others have said, which is the problem. In the US it's free promo for the company providing clothing for the first lady, not sure the same applies here?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.