Politics

7 lurkers | 215 watchers
17 Sep
7:11pm, 17 Sep 2024
11,669 posts
  •  
Fields
“Stuff happens”

Zionist terrorists of course killed over a hundred British soldiers with one bomb back in the day I expect they were collateral damage too
17 Sep
9:31pm, 17 Sep 2024
6,475 posts
  •  
paulcook
Collateral damage?

I saw a list of Palestinian deaths so far in the war. The first 14 pages were all babies less than a year old.
17 Sep
9:49pm, 17 Sep 2024
29,304 posts
  •  
richmac
I'm appalled, again, by the pager attacks, no Israel hasn't claimed responsibility but who the fuck else would it be ?

It's visiting terror on a civilian population, simple as that.
18 Sep
5:35am, 18 Sep 2024
22,167 posts
  •  
Dave W
In the war? Not in these "pager attacks"?

I totally agree that bombing places in a highly crowded civilian area like Gaza should not be happening. It is wrong, and causes untold suffering.

Hamas hide their communications centres and arms stores and all their people within the civilian population, often in places like schools and hospitals. So I could see that Israel would want to take these out. And the safest way for their own troops is a lazer guided bomb. But there should be a better way of doing it.

The targeted attack on Hezbollah personnel by means of exploding pagers. A different thing entirely.

And I can see that people on here are rightly incensed by the killing overall, so this will be my last post about the pager attack.
um
18 Sep
6:55am, 18 Sep 2024
8,851 posts
  •  
um
On a lighter note, a fetchie off to number 10. For, yes, a garden party!
No mention of free clothes as I understand it, despite all the ones on show,

18 Sep
8:29am, 18 Sep 2024
50,966 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's a lovely pic. Which Fetchie pls? Congrats to them in any case.

Actually, being po-faced for a moment(!), it's actually almost an argument *for* getting clothes paid for. The athletes are wearing their GB "kit", which is paid for by the organisation that they are representing. So if you used that as an analogy, then politicians' suits/work clothes, should be paid for by the state. (Which I don't think they should!) :-) G
um
18 Sep
8:41am, 18 Sep 2024
8,853 posts
  •  
um
But GB proscribe that they were their kit at certain times, when 'working' or representing GB. So it seens reasonable to provide it (same as any other uniform).
When I've had a job where (eg) boiler suits or other 'protective' clothing was needed that was always supplied.
I never had a clothing allowance for any of my 'office' based or customer facing jobs - where typically suits were expected. (pre US IT corp 'casual' gear)

The fetchie is RainbowRider*, far right in the first pic, slightly left of centre in the second, talking to Lisa Nandy.

*daughter and winner of 'just a few' paralympic medals.
18 Sep
8:42am, 18 Sep 2024
22,172 posts
  •  
Dave W
No problem at all with that. My uniforms were paid for by my employer. Although my plainclothes stuff wasn’t.

It’s the payments by donors that I disagree with. Donors donating to parties. Less of a problem but still not right. To individuals. Wrong on so many levels. Smacks immediately of corruption and should be banned.

Politicians already get generous expenses and a damn good pay packet so they should not in any situation be accepting money or anything else really from individuals.
18 Sep
8:56am, 18 Sep 2024
50,969 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
You're right um, it's not really analogous. Was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Huge congrats to multi-medal winner. Fantastic achievements. :-) G
18 Sep
8:59am, 18 Sep 2024
11,670 posts
  •  
Fields
Safety boots and sunglasses are other types of PPE paid for I think by employers

Starmer whinging he has to accept hospitality as it’s the only way he can go and watch arsenal is pretty thin. Also free glasses worth several thousand pounds. Probably not even for VDU use.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.