Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
19 Jul
3:43pm, 19 Jul 2024
32,818 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I’ve started to warm to rats just lately. They seem to punch above their weight IQ wise.
19 Jul
3:48pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,472 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for your very reasonable response @Yakima Canutt - and by the way, when I read your online name, I always feel slightly dirty, cos it sounds like sweary words. Have you been to the "Explain Your Fetchname" thread to tell us where it comes from pls?!

In terms of how effective the JSO protest of disrupting the M25 and their appearance and sentences received in court are, well, we've managed about 10 pages and 100 posts about it, so... somewhat effective in terms of discussion, if not persuasion, I would suggest. :-) G
19 Jul
3:49pm, 19 Jul 2024
25,242 posts
  •  
larkim
rf_fozzy wrote:larkim wrote:I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing! This then, might be the issue. If you're using the stats, make your argument clear as I don't think the data you've presented suggests it was "relatively minor" in impact. That doesn't mean it wasn't. I'm just saying that the stats you presented don't prove it.

A not unimportant point, I agree.

But if we go back to the post I made about it, I said the following, and I had intended that the sections I've now bold-ed were the key bits:-
I did the maths. There were apparently 51,000 hours of delay and 710,000 vehicles. Which I think means on average a vehicle was delayed by just over 4 minutes...

(Unless I'm misinterpreting)

Nonetheless, for those who have read the sentencing I hope you'd agree that the existing suspended sentences / community service orders / prior convictions do add significantly to the expectation of the sentences.

I actually thought that the impact was pretty trivial; little more than might be expected from many other causes of traffic jams which could equally caused by the fault or negligence of others. However, that's not really the point. The conviction for the conspiracy was about the intent.
19 Jul
3:50pm, 19 Jul 2024
5,951 posts
  •  
paulcook
I came to a similar conclusion G. Not just here, but elsewhere. Their prison sentences have, possibly ironically, created more discussion than if they'd got a few months / suspended sentences and the protestors themselves not protested again.
19 Jul
3:50pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,473 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry Fields got red-carded redcard though to be honest, that last one was just straight name calling, pretty childish behaviour.

I still thank the non-specific-universal-force-thing for the normally very reasonable, courteous and informative discussion that this special place engenders. Fanks Fetchies! :-) G
19 Jul
3:55pm, 19 Jul 2024
28,577 posts
  •  
richmac
HappyG(rrr) wrote:Sorry Fields got red-carded though to be honest, that last one was just straight name calling, pretty childish behaviour. I still thank the non-specific-universal-force-thing for the normally very reasonable, courteous and informative discussion that this special place engenders. Fanks Fetchies! G

It's just repeated behaviour.
J2R
19 Jul
3:58pm, 19 Jul 2024
5,523 posts
  •  
J2R
I hope Fields can get reinstated before too long, should he wish to do so. I pretty well never agree with what he says, but I always admire the way he normally argues his corner without getting too rattled by the negativity directed his way. I may be wrong but I don't recall him actually insulting anyone before today (well, apart from Starmer, etc.). His voice is useful in avoiding this place becoming too much of an echo chamber.
J2R
19 Jul
4:00pm, 19 Jul 2024
5,524 posts
  •  
J2R
I'll jump in here and say that as far I recall Yakima Canutt was a native American daredevil horse-riding stuntman in many of the great Westerns of old. I doubt that this is the same Yakima Canutt, though. :)
19 Jul
4:05pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,476 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
J2R wrote:I hope Fields can get reinstated before too long, should he wish to do so. I pretty well never agree with what he says, but I always admire the way he normally argues his corner without getting too rattled by the negativity directed his way. I may be wrong but I don't recall him actually insulting anyone before today (well, apart from Starmer, etc.). His voice is useful in avoiding this place becoming too much of an echo chamber.

I value Fields contrary views too, for the same reason J2R. I find his 1 liner argumentative tone annoying because I'd actually like to hear what he has to say and consider changing my views, if his arguments are persuasive. But we rarely get that far.

J2R wrote:I'll jump in here and say that as far I recall Yakima Canutt was a native American daredevil horse-riding stuntman in many of the great Westerns of old. I doubt that this is the same Yakima Canutt, though.

If YC has named himself thusly, fair enough, but I keep saying the name in my head as "Ya Kinda a Cnut" !! :-O Just me then? :-) G
19 Jul
4:09pm, 19 Jul 2024
5,952 posts
  •  
paulcook
Yakima Canutt wrote:We didn't become a nation of mobile phone users by banning landlines.

I don't think Western civilization would allow the banning of pretty much anything. I'd quite like to ban all flying, private jets at the very least, but it's never going to happen.

In terms of the recentish argument, if we're serious about making inroads into any climate crisis, it has to come from viable alternatives first and foremost. Globally, I don't really hold much hope if I'm honest though.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.