Politics

13 lurkers | 212 watchers
19 Jul
12:53pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,466 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Cheg wrote:Yeah I thought there would be more support for some prison time. We've got a few late joiners. But the general trends is the tactics were excessive, and they've lost, not gained support. I look forward to your reaction when you actually are stuck in traffic and missing your flight. I'm sure you will be the one with the serene look of calm on his face, offering them a cup of tea and saying good for you for standing up for what you believe. Very easy from the armchair to commend them. Similar to if I was a billionaire I would give it all to charity and live in a 3 bed semi. Easy to say when you don't actually have to follow through on it.

How do you know I or someone close to me wasn't affected by the disruption Cheg? Bit of a big assumption there. I wasn't (your assumption was correct!) but indeed, if I had been affected I would have calm and accepted that it was because someone was protesting an important cause. Same as if I got caught up in an anti-Gaza war protest, and anti-apartheid protest in the 80s or any other action on behalf of an important cause. Bigger picture and all that mate.
19 Jul
12:57pm, 19 Jul 2024
5,939 posts
  •  
paulcook
I'm still voting the non-selectable "nothing" option.
19 Jul
1:07pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,325 posts
  •  
Cheg
HappyG(rrr) wrote:Cheg wrote:Yeah I thought there would be more support for some prison time. We've got a few late joiners. But the general trends is the tactics were excessive, and they've lost, not gained support. I look forward to your reaction when you actually are stuck in traffic and missing your flight. I'm sure you will be the one with the serene look of calm on his face, offering them a cup of tea and saying good for you for standing up for what you believe. Very easy from the armchair to commend them. Similar to if I was a billionaire I would give it all to charity and live in a 3 bed semi. Easy to say when you don't actually have to follow through on it. How do you know I or someone close to me wasn't affected by the disruption Cheg? Bit of a big assumption there. I wasn't (your assumption was correct!) but indeed, if I had been affected I would have calm and accepted that it was because someone was protesting an important cause. Same as if I got caught up in an anti-Gaza war protest, and anti-apartheid protest in the 80s or any other action on behalf of an important cause. Bigger picture and all that mate.
he said she said. I don’t believe you.
19 Jul
1:14pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,467 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, nice. I don't believe you = "you are lying"? Hmm, that's a bit unpleasant. OK. I'll look away for a bit. Calmly. :-O :-) G
19 Jul
1:17pm, 19 Jul 2024
30,856 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've asked for the sniping to stop please.
19 Jul
1:18pm, 19 Jul 2024
9,160 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Cheg wrote:It is just the way of the world. We can play this game all day. All of us could eat a subsistence diet, we could have 20 people to a house. We could all stop driving, taking flights etc. But we don't, we make decisions each day that positively impact us, and take scarce resources from those in more difficult positions. We can all virtue signal if you like. I am currently writing this on some tree bark with a knife and giving it to someone to transcribe onto their phone. I have made an improvised shelter in the woods from what I could find and am currently sitting down to my berry lunch. I didn't pick them, I just watched the bush until they dropped.

Even if we in the UK did this it would have a negligible effect unless China, USA and India do the same. I’d even argue that what we do as individuals (like only boiling enough water for the cups you need rather than filling the kettle to the brim each time, or not leaving electronics on standby) has little impact compared to heavy industry in this country.
19 Jul
1:18pm, 19 Jul 2024
147 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
When there is a JSO planned protest in Aberdeen we are told by our security team to come to work without our security badges or work at home. We are told not to look like I could be an office worker in case we might be targeted and to come in not by the main entrance but by the back where an extra security guard will check who I am.

I'm not breaking the law in what I do and neither is the company for which I and a few hundred others locally do does but our plans are disrupted whether or not an event actually goes ahead.

Im sure others on the thread are quite happy that their own views that the government should do more to ban oil and gas justifies these potential and actual threats to me, but I do not.

Until we have renewable energy at scale, (which won't happen with a ban on oil and gas). Business I work with (oil and renewables) will just keep working to keep your lights and your heating on.
19 Jul
1:19pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,468 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hope that's not @ me Fetch. I am trying not to call anyone names etc. But I accept that the "you are lying" is my interpretation of Cheg's "I don't believe you." I wasn't sure how else I could interpret it. But I said I'd look away, so I will for a bit. Soz for reacting. No problem with your general interaction/intervention of course Fetch. Your website, your rules, and I like your rules anyway! :-) G
19 Jul
1:20pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,326 posts
  •  
Cheg
It wasn’t aimed at you was it.
19 Jul
1:23pm, 19 Jul 2024
50,469 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yakima Canutt wrote:When there is a JSO planned protest in Aberdeen we are told by our security team to come to work without our security badges or work at home. We are told not to look like I could be an office worker in case we might be targeted and to come in not by the main entrance but by the back where an extra security guard will check who I am. I'm not breaking the law in what I do and neither is the company for which I and a few hundred others locally do does but our plans are disrupted whether or not an event actually goes ahead. Im sure others on the thread are quite happy that their own views that the government should do more to ban oil and gas justifies these potential and actual threats to me, but I do not. Until we have renewable energy at scale, (which won't happen with a ban on oil and gas). Business I work with (oil and renewables) will just keep working to keep your lights and your heating on.

Oh, I'm so rubbish at staying away when I said I should - just want to assure @Yakima Canutt that I don't condone violence or intimidation as a tactic by anyone, against anyone.

(As you know, I do think that oil and gas industries need to be helped to wind down extraction and move into renewables etc. And yes, this does mean change and disruption to an industry that is their income and living to many. I get that. And yes, I'm impacted by that less than those living and working in NE Scotland and in those industries. But I'd say and support it if it was me at risk of losing my job too. You may or many not believe that, as another thread poster has said of me above. But violence, no, I never support that. Disruption, persuasion, vocal protest yet. Violence and intimidation, no.) :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.