Politics

14 lurkers | 212 watchers
19 Jul
10:01am, 19 Jul 2024
32,808 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
You are a bad man.

I of course alerted the local authorities and ground forces. I did not see her again. We don’t care for persons of that sort in Southwold.
19 Jul
10:03am, 19 Jul 2024
25,210 posts
  •  
larkim
I doubt there is a majority out there clamouring for reductions in the sentences. Even if Starmer felt personally they were excessive, he'd be taking a political risk advocating for reductions in sentences. (I would like to see him take that risk, but I can see why he might avoid it with "bigger fish to fry" at the moment, for which he needs to earn / retain political capital)
19 Jul
10:23am, 19 Jul 2024
11,523 posts
  •  
Fields
J2R wrote:@Fields , this is what you said: "Governments are happy to pay for bombs and missiles and increase defence spending to cause more wars, wars which are entirely due to scarcity of resources caused by climate change" Why might we assume you are excluding Ukraine from that?

Why might you assume I’m including it?
19 Jul
10:29am, 19 Jul 2024
25,212 posts
  •  
larkim
Given there is a pretty major war going on in Ukraine at the moment, I reckon you'd have to be pretty explicit to be excluding that one in any conversations about ongoing wars.

Maybe just accept you worded it badly, that you didn't mean to include Ukraine in there but can understand completely how others would assume you were including it?
19 Jul
10:32am, 19 Jul 2024
11,524 posts
  •  
Fields
Thought it was called a security operation by one of the belligerents ?
19 Jul
10:58am, 19 Jul 2024
32,809 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
More Marxism from Blue Keir.

“So let me say something very clearly.

We are resetting our approach here.

This Government will not commit taxpayer money to gimmicks…

We are here to serve our country in the national interest…

In pursuit of solutions that will actually deliver results.

And more than that…

We will approach this issue with humanity…

And with profound respect for international law.

And that’s why my government scrapped the unworkable Rwanda scheme on day one.

And it’s why we will never withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights.

Churchill himself was among the chief architects of the Convention.

It was built on the blood bond of 1945…

And our shared sacrifice for freedom.

I myself first read about these principles of the Convention and international law in a law library in Leeds, well 40 years ago now.

And that inspired me in everything I have done since then…

And I still draw strength from it and value from it everyday.

Because they speak about the dignity of every human being…

And that word “dignity” is there in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, one of the most important words in it.

Dignity of every human being.

The very essence of what it is to be human.

And that is our legacy… “
19 Jul
11:03am, 19 Jul 2024
25,214 posts
  •  
larkim
Fields wrote:Thought it was called a security operation by one of the belligerents ?

Only the belligerent which is the aggressor, unless I'm mistaken. I don't think most of us would agree to using Russia's nomenclature for the activities there. Only a Putin sympathiser would do that, surely?
19 Jul
11:05am, 19 Jul 2024
25,215 posts
  •  
larkim
Johnny Blaze wrote:More Marxism from Blue Keir. “So let me say something very clearly. We are resetting our approach here. This Government will not commit taxpayer money to gimmicks… We are here to serve our country in the national interest… In pursuit of solutions that will actually deliver results. And more than that… We will approach this issue with humanity… And with profound respect for international law. And that’s why my government scrapped the unworkable Rwanda scheme on day one. And it’s why we will never withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights. Churchill himself was among the chief architects of the Convention. It was built on the blood bond of 1945… And our shared sacrifice for freedom. I myself first read about these principles of the Convention and international law in a law library in Leeds, well 40 years ago now. And that inspired me in everything I have done since then… And I still draw strength from it and value from it everyday. Because they speak about the dignity of every human being… And that word “dignity” is there in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, one of the most important words in it. Dignity of every human being. The very essence of what it is to be human. And that is our legacy… “

Yeah, but they're all the same aren't they these politicians. I'd bet Johnson has given that same speech, and Trump, and Truss. Corbyn would have said it much better too.
19 Jul
11:08am, 19 Jul 2024
28,574 posts
  •  
richmac
Great speech. The populists need reminding of what the ECHR represents.
19 Jul
11:08am, 19 Jul 2024
32,810 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Trump currently saying he is going to send in the troops to forcibly deport 10-15 million illegal immigrants. I’m guessing international law isn’t much of a hindrance to a guy who doesn’t even let his own country’s laws stop him. But I know you are being satirical.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.