Politics

25 lurkers | 212 watchers
19 Jul
11:10am, 19 Jul 2024
25,216 posts
  •  
larkim
Johnny Blaze wrote:But I know you are being satirical.

Phew!!
19 Jul
11:32am, 19 Jul 2024
50,463 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Glad to see that @Cheg your polls show that "the room" does think that the sentences for climate protesters were too harsh. And yes, I'm not necessarily blaming the judiciary, I'm blaming the politicians for an unjust law, which I would like to see changed/repealed.

I admire those who have the courage to take actions to protest against major injustices - I wish I did more than just express views in an online forum, for instance! To my mind, the growing climate disaster and global inequality are linked and should be tackled as a matter of urgency, and emergency. That requires that societies like ours who are comfortable and complacent (including myself in that description as a privileged member of our UK and European society) be shaken up and shown that change MUST happen.

Like fascism, apartheid, war and famine, the climate emergency requires us to act now. And these protestors are reminding us of that. I admire and commend them. Even if it means my journey might be a bit disrupted, or my food delivery might be delayed or I might miss a flight for a holiday. We'll look back in 50 years (or children and grandchildren will) on these protestors and activists as the only ones who were awake and taking responsibility, while the rest of us buried our heads in the sand.
19 Jul
11:37am, 19 Jul 2024
5,934 posts
  •  
paulcook
HappyG(rrr) wrote:Like fascism, apartheid, war and famine, the climate emergency requires us to act now. And these protestors are reminding us of that. I admire and commend them. Even if it means my journey might be a bit disrupted, or my food delivery might be delayed or I might miss a flight for a holiday. We'll look back in 50 years (or children and grandchildren will) on these protestors and activists as the only ones who were awake and taking responsibility, while the rest of us buried our heads in the sand.

👍👍👍👍
19 Jul
11:39am, 19 Jul 2024
4,320 posts
  •  
Cheg
Yeah I thought there would be more support for some prison time. We've got a few late joiners. But the general trends is the tactics were excessive, and they've lost, not gained support.

I look forward to your reaction when you actually are stuck in traffic and missing your flight. I'm sure you will be the one with the serene look of calm on his face, offering them a cup of tea and saying good for you for standing up for what you believe.

Very easy from the armchair to commend them. Similar to if I was a billionaire I would give it all to charity and live in a 3 bed semi. Easy to say when you don't actually have to follow through on it.
19 Jul
11:41am, 19 Jul 2024
5,935 posts
  •  
paulcook
Most people's heads are completely buried in the sand. But when it comes down to it, I don't blame any individuals at all - especially when you look at the context of the previous post re China (think it was pothunter's). The only people who can take action are in power.

And sometimes I wonder if that's why JSO don't care who they're upsetting, because the public onside (or not) makes only a fractional difference either way.
19 Jul
11:47am, 19 Jul 2024
25,219 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheg wrote:I look forward to your reaction when you actually are stuck in traffic and missing your flight. I'm sure you will be the one with the serene look of calm on his face, offering them a cup of tea and saying good for you for standing up for what you believe. Very easy from the armchair to commend them.

Agree this is a difficulty in the moment. Doesn't make it wrong to say that you can look from afar and still conclude that this is the right attitude.

Not dissimilar to the "private medical treatment" scenario; I'm 100% opposed to it, wealth should not fast-track treatment. Yet, if it was one of my children who I could get further up the queue with money I would find it incredibly hard to resist.
19 Jul
11:51am, 19 Jul 2024
11,525 posts
  •  
Fields
larkim wrote:Fields wrote:Thought it was called a security operation by one of the belligerents ? Only the belligerent which is the aggressor, unless I'm mistaken. I don't think most of us would agree to using Russia's nomenclature for the activities there. Only a Putin sympathiser would do that, surely?

I didn’t say what I was calling it, I said what one of the belligerents was calling it.
19 Jul
11:55am, 19 Jul 2024
4,321 posts
  •  
Cheg
Give up with the semantics you bore. You are backtracking, or you misspoke. Nobody cares. Not all wars are about scarcity of resources caused by climate change.
19 Jul
11:55am, 19 Jul 2024
11,526 posts
  •  
Fields
Cheg wrote:Yeah I thought there would be more support for some prison time. We've got a few late joiners. But the general trends is the tactics were excessive, and they've lost, not gained support. I look forward to your reaction when you actually are stuck in traffic and missing your flight. I'm sure you will be the one with the serene look of calm on his face, offering them a cup of tea and saying good for you for standing up for what you believe. Very easy from the armchair to commend them. Similar to if I was a billionaire I would give it all to charity and live in a 3 bed semi. Easy to say when you don't actually have to follow through on it.

Oh boo hoo someone is stuck in traffic. Someone misses a flight. People shouldn’t be flying anyway. The world is on fire and yet westerners are flying multiple times per year. The west clearly doesn’t care about climate change and the impacts it cause. Why should I care about someone missing a flight they shouldn’t be taking

Meanwhile the poorest people in the world are seeing their countries literally disappear underwater due to climate change. And you want me to feel sorry for someone who missed a flight. Have some perspective
19 Jul
12:00pm, 19 Jul 2024
5,937 posts
  •  
paulcook
I agree with the theory there Fields, but I really don't like to get angry at the common man. All our problems are relative to our own lives, and while missing a flight is the proverbial "first world problem", I will always bring this issue back to those in charge. Until or unless governments make changes, almost nobody is going to change their lifestyles, when literally millions/billions are carrying on as normal.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.