Politics

12 lurkers | 212 watchers
19 Jul
1:23pm, 19 Jul 2024
32,812 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The suspended sentence thing was interesting as was the recounting of people who had suffered real financial, emotional and medical harm as a result of a peaceful protest. The most damning thing for me though was the passage where Hallam outlined how complete gridlock of the south east was on the cards - in which case people certainly would have died, I would suggest.

I will leave it to a better philosopher jurist than me to explain how if “peaceful protests” actually cause harm they can become something else, and that should be taken into the reckoning
19 Jul
1:29pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,327 posts
  •  
Cheg
Missed cancer appointment being put back two months could be the worst of the lot.
19 Jul
1:30pm, 19 Jul 2024
11,530 posts
  •  
Fields
What part of NVDA does your company not understand YC?

If you want to see violent action look at motorists driving their cars at protestors / assaulting them etc

Where’s their prosecution
19 Jul
1:31pm, 19 Jul 2024
11,531 posts
  •  
Fields
Cheg wrote:Missed cancer appointment being put back two months could be the worst of the lot.

Tally them against the direct and indirect deaths caused by motorists.
19 Jul
1:35pm, 19 Jul 2024
32,813 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Putting SEN kids and their drivers into a needlessly stressful situation was also a doozy…
19 Jul
1:37pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,328 posts
  •  
Cheg
Why do you keep taking two random and unassociated issues and mashing them together?

What’s next, give more international aid? Do you like uk children dying?
19 Jul
1:37pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,329 posts
  •  
Cheg
That was for Fields.
19 Jul
1:39pm, 19 Jul 2024
11,532 posts
  •  
Fields
You’re pointing impact of being stuck in a traffic jam in your precious car for a few minutes

I’m pointing impact your precious car has on society as a whole

If you can play this game so can I
19 Jul
1:40pm, 19 Jul 2024
4,330 posts
  •  
Cheg
So the traffic jams were good because it slowed the cars down and there were less road fatalities that day?
19 Jul
1:47pm, 19 Jul 2024
457 posts
  •  
DaveG
I think everyone should have the right to peaceful protest, but with an obligation to not to needlessly cause problems. I don't agree with the logic that anything done as a peaceful protest is acceptable regardless of the impact.

I don't remember the M25 being closed at all. It would have been a big news story, and I would have read about it, but I don't remember it. But I do remember Just Stop Oil throwing orange paint on a snooker table and the amazing visual images that produced. I remember the guy you chained himself to a goalpost at Everton. They were good peaceful protests as they got the message across and creating talking points.

Closing the M25 is a rubbish protest. It's meaningless for people who weren't on it. It only causes bad blood for the people who were impacted. And it doesn't create any lasting images other than a congested motorway being congested. Given that people might miss medical appointments, ambulances (and organ donations) could be caught up in it, and people could miss job/benefits interviews it just messed up people's lives for no real reason. It's ineffective as a protest and more of an ego-trip of the scale of disruption rather than anything which will lead to change (which should be the focus of any protest).

I don't mind the courts sending a message that blocking key infrastructure, used by emergency services, is bad, but disrupting cultural events is fine. So it's not the 4 year sentences for blocking a motorway that I think are crazy. It's sending someone to prison for 6 weeks for having a football match stop for 14 minutes because they handcuffed themselves to the goalposts which I think is a crazy sentence.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.