Politics

16 lurkers | 212 watchers
J2R
19 Jul
9:29am, 19 Jul 2024
5,517 posts
  •  
J2R
Fields, the war in the Ukraine is not 'due to scarcity of resources caused by climate change'.
19 Jul
9:30am, 19 Jul 2024
4,314 posts
  •  
Cheg
Much higher congestion charges and better still a ban on private vehicles.

A prime reason why you might as well just write a diary, rather than contribute. What you want will never happen on any of the many topics you cover.
J2R
19 Jul
9:30am, 19 Jul 2024
5,518 posts
  •  
J2R
Sorry, that should have read 'the war in Ukraine' (the 'the' before Ukraine was an accident, not an old-fashioned formation!)
19 Jul
9:33am, 19 Jul 2024
21,971 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I disagree with a couple of points with cheg - although not the overall summing up.

One - planning a terrorist attack and planning a peaceful protest are not the same thing. I've been involved in protests that shut roads down in London, protesting against the Iraq war. I'd argue the 1000s with me, none of us should be jailed. .

Two - the suffragettes (and also Martin Luther King AND Nelson Mandela) were all considered terrorists at the time. History has rose tinted their resistance. Suffragettes used bombing and arson in their campaign lest we forget: en.wikipedia.org

I don't agree with the orange paint either, but it's nothing compared to suffragette tactics

Three - I'm not sure a majority of people here were suggesting prison was appropriate. I suggested a suspended sentence, with obviously the threat of prison time. There was definitely a hint from Hallam they were maybe moving away from this direct intervention with the change of government.

Four - Prison sentences should inline with other crimes, Stats For Lefties (not the most balanced of accounts) compiled average prison terms for offences - but really, the occasional demonstration is not on par with having your house ransacked or being mugged at knifepoint on a street corner (both of which have happened to me).

Sexual offences 5.5 years
Just Stop Oil (2024 only) 4.3 years
Robbery 4 years
Drug Crime 3.3 years
Violence 1.7 years

x.com
19 Jul
9:34am, 19 Jul 2024
9,156 posts
  •  
Pothunter
China are the biggest carbon polluters by far (https://climatetrade.com/which-countries-are-the-worlds-biggest-carbon-polluters/) - in fact the next three worst offenders combined (US, India and the 27 combined countries of the EU) just about match China’s CO2 emissions.

I suspect the vast majority of the British public don’t see how a small change here would make any real difference globally. Many I think are in favour of wind farms and solar farms - until someone wants to build one in their area.

The right to protest is fundamental, but you have to take people on the journey with you. Blocking the M25 is just dumb whatever the cause you are fighting.
19 Jul
9:36am, 19 Jul 2024
9,157 posts
  •  
Pothunter
And I agree that prison sentencing is in need of significant reform too - those stats quoted by Chris with regards to “real”, serious crimes are appalling.
19 Jul
9:40am, 19 Jul 2024
11,519 posts
  •  
Fields
A lot of people here on the wrong side of history

Compare to apartheid protests, greenham common women etc protests pilloried at the time by governments and right wing types like him.

I’m sure someone a bit like cheg was insulting the latter and driving vehicles directly at them and throwing offal at them
19 Jul
9:41am, 19 Jul 2024
25,207 posts
  •  
larkim
Fields wrote:Yakima Canutt wrote:If you want to throw a slang insult my way fields, do it honestly, don't magle the meaning of a word to describe me in a demeaning way as something that I'm not. Do you mean like larkim does?

Curious about the formation here. (Though in a lighthearted and generous way, I'm not feeling picky etc!)
19 Jul
9:42am, 19 Jul 2024
28,569 posts
  •  
richmac
J2R wrote:Fields, the war in the Ukraine is not 'due to scarcity of resources caused by climate change'.

FML is this the current line being peddled but Putin fans ?

Also, the left of labour have lost every election since the 70's and failed to learn anything from that
19 Jul
9:43am, 19 Jul 2024
21,972 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Many I think are in favour of wind farms and solar farms - until someone wants to build one in their area.

Interesting side note: this even seems to include the Greens, who are blocking above ground pylons in the Waveney Valley constituency. Then when Ed Miliband dared to call them out on it, some Green councillors have accused him of "bullying women".

I think Ed is very fair here both in tone and in argument, unless there is more surrounding context we have seen, and politely rebuts their point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtkOsyzYCbc

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.