3 lurkers | 212 watchers
19 Jul
8:45am, 19 Jul 2024
4,309 posts
  •  
Cheg
Yawn.

I think the majority of the room feels:

- JSO tactics are counterproductive in terms of their cause.
- That the protests were peaceful, but that the level of disruption was too high.
- That the prison sentences were excessive.
- But they still need some prison time.

The prison issue, as you know is already at epic proportions and that the five protestors aren't going to be the thing that push it over the edge.

But you keep spouting out your jokey, ever so clever crap.
19 Jul
8:49am, 19 Jul 2024
146 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Fields wrote:Yakima Canutt wrote:If you want to throw a slang insult my way fields, do it honestly, don't magle the meaning of a word to describe me in a demeaning way as something that I'm not. Do you mean like larkim does?

No I mean like you do.
19 Jul
8:50am, 19 Jul 2024
9,902 posts
  •  
simbil
Don't think activist groups are trying to win hearts and minds, they are getting the cause into the media cycle and then grown up voices like some of the elected green MPs etc can further the cause legitimately.

It's not like they are backed by rich media moguls.
SPR
19 Jul
8:51am, 19 Jul 2024
45,271 posts
  •  
SPR
I think generally people always find protest too disruptive and the same arguments would be had for protest we 'glorify' now.
19 Jul
8:53am, 19 Jul 2024
11,515 posts
  •  
Fields
I seem to recall it never being the right time to protest the monarchy, eg funeral / death of queen when a major point of protest is the fact they pay no tax and dodge laws
19 Jul
8:54am, 19 Jul 2024
11,516 posts
  •  
Fields
Cheg wrote:Yawn. I think the majority of the room feels: - JSO tactics are counterproductive in terms of their cause. - That the protests were peaceful, but that the level of disruption was too high. - That the prison sentences were excessive. - But they still need some prison time. The prison issue, as you know is already at epic proportions and that the five protestors aren't going to be the thing that push it over the edge. But you keep spouting out your jokey, ever so clever crap.

Are the people who appointed you to speak for the room in the room with you now?
19 Jul
8:55am, 19 Jul 2024
4,310 posts
  •  
Cheg
But at least with the fight for women's right to vote there were men that were quiet and agreed.

More disruption, made those quiet voices louder and it moved the dial.

This one, everyone's like yeah we know climate change is bad. We agree with you. What do you want us to do?

The answer is we as a society aren't prepared to do what we need to do on climate change. You've all seen the Hollywood movies we know how it ends. We continue our unsustainable lifestyle for as long as possible, until it really does go pop. Then do our best to pick up the pieces.

No amount of throwing orange paint on cricket pitches, snooker tables or pieces of art are going to change that.
19 Jul
8:56am, 19 Jul 2024
4,311 posts
  •  
Cheg
Fields wrote:Cheg wrote:Yawn. I think the majority of the room feels: - JSO tactics are counterproductive in terms of their cause. - That the protests were peaceful, but that the level of disruption was too high. - That the prison sentences were excessive. - But they still need some prison time. The prison issue, as you know is already at epic proportions and that the five protestors aren't going to be the thing that push it over the edge. But you keep spouting out your jokey, ever so clever crap. Are the people who appointed you to speak for the room in the room with you now?

Let's see Fields. There definitely isn't anyone batting for is there? Like always.
19 Jul
9:01am, 19 Jul 2024
11,517 posts
  •  
Fields
If everyone knows climate change is bad why is no government prepared to act? Because political parties are funded by YCs clients and keep their hand in the sand
19 Jul
9:03am, 19 Jul 2024
4,312 posts
  •  
Cheg
It isn't just the funding. You see the kick back on the congestion charges in London. Or the push back of the electric car goals. People. Voters and government aren't prepared to pay the cost.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.