Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
16 Jul
1:02pm, 16 Jul 2024
21,952 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yep - sadly you could well be right TRO, I think the commentators are more picking up on the disparity as a possible reason for hope rather than this is definitely the case.

I mean the Senate votes might all follow the Trump also instead. I think the main argument is that in the general election where both are on the card being voted for at the same time, it requires SOME cognitive dissonance to say vote for Gallego (an anti MAGA dude) vs say Kari Lake (BTW I don't think she's standing for Senate, I think it's governor, not sure who the Repub Senate candidate is) who is MAGA to the hilt, and then vote for Trump on that ticket. Perhaps not. We shall see.
16 Jul
2:04pm, 16 Jul 2024
25,155 posts
  •  
larkim
Dave W wrote:He put them there for a reason. They will do his bidding. Otherwise what’s to stop a president who can do anything he wants and it’s deemed legal from removing them and placing some even more unbalanced people in their place. Remember. They said that anything he does as the president is legal. Idiots.

That's far too simplistic an analysis of either the ruling or the nature of the SCOTUS.

It's worth reading at the very least the wiki article on the judgement, and noting the restrictions in the opinion as to how and where it can be used. I'm not saying that it isn't 100% a movement towards more power to the President, but there is a lot more nuance in it than the headline writers, or indeed Dem opponents, would suggest. It may have opened the door, and it could yet mean that the door gets pushed further. But we're not there (yet).

en.wikipedia.org
jda
16 Jul
3:29pm, 16 Jul 2024
17,487 posts
  •  
jda
Most senior UK politicians (of all parties) must have shaken hands with Tony Blair at some point. If that’s a disqualification then we won’t be left with much.
16 Jul
3:38pm, 16 Jul 2024
7,575 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
The Good Friday Agreement couldn't have been reached without politicians talking to both nationalist and loyalist terrorists: You can keep idealogically pure if you like, but that doesn't solve these sort of problems. Sometimes you have to hold you nose and get your hands dirty.
16 Jul
3:42pm, 16 Jul 2024
25,158 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm starting to think Fields is Owen Jones in thinly veiled disguise.
J2R
16 Jul
3:45pm, 16 Jul 2024
5,476 posts
  •  
J2R
@ThorntonRunner , exactly! Nobody actually wants to get their hands dirty but those who are serious about effecting worthwhile change, as opposed to posturing on the sidelines, know it needs to be done. Maintaining one's ideological purity is not always an option.
16 Jul
3:54pm, 16 Jul 2024
28,532 posts
  •  
richmac
If we were as entrenched in our ideas of Purity as some want then the world would have wiped itself out years ago or no nation would speak to another.

Funny thing humanity isn't it
16 Jul
3:54pm, 16 Jul 2024
22,684 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Corbyn today celebrating stopping a derelict warehouse being used as....a warehouse.

NIMBYism to the max.
16 Jul
3:57pm, 16 Jul 2024
22,685 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It's as stupid as the moron tories who were complaining about Milliband lifting a block on building some solar farms, because the planning report had said that the construction traffic might have a very minor detriment to the local horse racing scene.

Good to know what our priorities are.
16 Jul
4:42pm, 16 Jul 2024
11,485 posts
  •  
Fields
rf_fozzy wrote:Corbyn today celebrating stopping a derelict warehouse being used as....a warehouse. NIMBYism to the max.

Still living rent free in your head

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.